What's new

Fuel Surging Issues

G

gunner93

I was suffering from this problem (car coughing and fuel warning lights flickered) when my fuel gauge was at quarter level during WOT. Subsequently I took it to the garage to open up the fuel hatch to inspect the fuel pump. Sure enough it was loose. It was not latched on the bracket for some reason. Got that fixed and fill her up to the brim. Last night when I WOT-ed at full tank, the fuel warning lights flickered again and my inj duty cycle maxed out at 100% again. I was puzzled wondering if this could be the tuning issue or fuel pressure issue? :confused: Any contibutions / experience to share is much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
G

gunner93

Majority opined that I should check the fuel pump first. Seems like the flickering light is not just related to the fuel pump issue which is puzzling. Tomorrow will be the FPR's turn and possibly road tune if necessary. Shes drinking fuel like a drunkard. :( I'm returning less than 400km on a full tank. :confused:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Thing is that the fuel pump wouldn't be supplying TOO much fuel because its flow is regulated by the FPR and injectors. The symptoms are that its over-fuelling rather than running lean.

G

gunner93

Update :

I only came to know today I was barking up the wrong tree. :p I miss took the engine check lights as fuel lights. The engine check lights flickers momentarily whenever I floored the car. Immediate opinions pointed possibly due to detonation (although my knock readings never exceed 20 on the Commander). Suspect ignition timing needed some rework since the ignition map were untouched at high load sectors (bottom of the map).

Reaction score
try retarding your ignition timimg at idle and go WOT again. Otherwise get your WOT settings re-tuned.

G

gunner93

try retarding your ignition timimg at idle and go WOT again. Otherwise get your WOT settings re-tuned.
Hi Amused, :wave:

Have been told Power FC do not retard the VTC (when it detect knock) like stock ECU does. Anyway, thanks for your contribution. S15 bible says 15 deg +/- 2 BTDC at idle yes?

G

gunner93

Update :

Idle timing 15 deg BTDC - ok.

Todays a holiday. Had some time to remove and inspect the spark plugs. Denso IK22. Here's how it looks after 1 year of hard wangan.

I kept the old four plugs on the left IK20 when I was using stock ECU and the four on the right after tuning with Power FC...

Reaction score
Hehe, hey gunner, :wave:

Those pictures look like you have the bandits in your hands what....change and go for NGK R7118-8 plugs bro. Dun belive all the hype on iridium and stuff. These are grade 8 plugs and their sold at ST wangan who also have a dyno so you can do an all in one. Get them gapped correctly...not the factory 0.9mm, but something lesser, let the experienced mechs decide based on your mods.

I used these plugs for 30K kms already since owning my baby and ecah time i check, nothing more than a light layer of carbon and the grooves are clean. And i use my s15 as a proper daily driver so i vouch for it well.

Also, id strongly recommend that you change to MINE's VX rom. IMHO its just as customisable as the Power-FC and its programmed in Japan for the specific mods that you have. Judging that yours is a typical stage 1 car (FMIC, Z32MAF, UPRATED FUEL PUMP, INJECTORS etc). All you have to do is list your mods when you order the ECU and Mr. Niikura and his team will do a max safe map for you. They have done some cars in Malaysia so they're quite familiar with our atmospheric conditions. And the best part is, as you add your mods, you can send the ecu back for further tuning. The only downside is the travel time of sending and receiving the ecu. You can also specify rev limits and max speeds to further help the tuning process. The entire thing is GURANTEED furthermore and from a top tuning house like MINE's, thats assurance money cant buy. My basic set for uprated injectors 740cc cost me only RM3500 (inc delivery), preset for max boost of 0.9 bar. Dyno test 237bhp at 6400 rpm, and 288nm tq at 4300 revs. FC is 12.5km to a litre. I normally pour 50 litres and it gives me 630kms before first yellow light. Currently im asking them if they can remap the ecu for 97

Cheers

Last edited:
G

gunner93

aUMSED,

12.5km/ltr :eek: Holy Toledo! Is there a website for this?

"Basic set for uprated injectors 740cc cost only RM3500 (inc delivery)" This includes MINE's ECU?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dear Gunner,

The cost of the ecu varies from time to time. I got mine almost a year ago and then it cost Rm3500 preloaded with a map for Z32afm, Nismo Adjustable FPR, Nismo Uprated fuel pump and Nismo 740cc injectors. The cost of all these parts are not inclusive of the RM3500 i mentioned.

The website is www.mines-wave.com. On the menu to the right is an 'English Page' tab. Click that and on the subsequent menu, click electronics tune and then breathe and savour the tuning industry's revelation, the vx-rom. IMHO, the best ECU in the market. Also i trust MINES because their tuning principle is not to go overboard and kill the engine. They have more daily driver customers than any other top tuning houses in japan so they know what an average driver is after.

Serious man, try it. Works. Currently im getting them to set a theoretical base map for 97 octane fuel (tuning is still done assuming std jap 100oct fuel so retard a bit after install). Im expecting even better mileage after this...

With an FMIC dun expect to touch 12km/litre because your car will be putting out more power, but 11 should be well within reach. Cheers. :)

Reaction score
Amused,

Very interesting mods you have there and the fuel consumption is really superb...why dont you come by today and join us at original kayu restaurant in aman suria for TT? We will usually be there by 9:00pm onwards...

:thumbs:

G

gunner93

Amused,

Very interesting mods you have there and the fuel consumption is really superb...why dont you come by today and join us at original kayu restaurant in aman suria for TT? We will usually be there by 9:00pm onwards...

:thumbs:

Yep :nod: :nod: :nod: