What's new

Radiator Question

Reaction score
Country
Cost cutting I would assume... nissan was in alot of debt at the time of producing r34 and s15, that's why the interiors are crap as well...

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
thicker is not necessarily better, the thicker it is the harder it is for air to go through: less airflow = more heat, just keep that in mind :)

Reaction score
thicker is not necessarily better, the thicker it is the harder it is for air to go through: less airflow = more heat, just keep that in mind :)
In the case of these rads the thicker it is the better chances it has of dissapating heat.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
not exactly - thickness has hardly anything to do with how much heat it can dissipate unless you count the extra few mm's of surface area you get along the width of the radiator (which isn't all that much more); the thicker it is the more heat it can *hold*... the key to *cooling* is to move as much air through the radiator as possible.

consider your mods... if you've now got a fat intercooler in front, and maybe an oil cooler as well, plus never reinstalled the lower plastic engine shield, or have a gap between your front bar and your lower radiator support, all that will add up to less cooling.

there's no doubt a big fat 52mm or more radiator will help, all i'm saying is thicker is not necessarily better - much like people have now realised that 100mm+ "drag" intercoolers aren't a good idea, both in terms of volume and lack of airflow :)

Reaction score
The stock radiator is actually very efficient at cooling. I know of a few guys who track their cars with the stock radiator and an oil cooler with good track temps. I only noticed a drop of 2 degrees between the stock and the Greddy 52mm radiator that I fitted :nod: