What's new

V-mount :O)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok - another question (I'm on a roll here today hehe) :)

Just need to start budgeting and gathering ideas for this so does anyone know or have seen a v-mount intercooler setup for an S15?

I know there's plenty of decent v-mount kits for the FD's such as Knight Sports and Revolution but never seen any for the S15 :confused:

I know my mechanic Chris is more than capable of producing a custom setup but if I can get a proven kit that's ready to fit then I'd be more than inclined to go for this option etc. Do the Driftworks guys run an S15 with v-mount (SR20DET powerplant - not the mental 2JZ conversion)??

If I had to go down the custom route then one idea is to use a setup like this guy (APEX'i core 400x230x65):

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=54562783

What are your thoughts on limits of rad size etc?

This is one of the only decent pics I can find:

Sunline Racing v-mount:

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Why are you hell bent on a V mount? The difference in responsiveness to an FMIC wouldn't be worth the cost on a road car with stage one/two setup...

S

StarletRick

chances are youll have to get a custom one made up mate.

as it will look like youll have to fab some of the front beams to get it working right.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Why are you hell bent on a V mount? The difference in responsiveness to an FMIC wouldn't be worth the cost on a road car with stage one/two setup...
My thinking is that it will be MORE responsive than the FMIC which is my primary reason and taking it on track will obviously require the best amount of cooling possible which again, doesn't seem to matter to me whether it's only tuned to stage 1/2 etc.

I've also got plans for the future and thought it best to do now rather than get FMIC fitted and change it later!!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Down to you, but it seems to me that the fact that 99% of the S14/15 modding community opt for FMICs (regardless of whether its a road, track or drift car), speaks volumes.

How is having the cooler in that position going to provide more cooling than having its entire surface facing directly into the air flow? Its also going to get heat soak from the engine...

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm not pursuing this as the only option - just gathering ideas and working out possible costs etc :)

At the end of the day, I would rather pay for something that yes, works for stage 1/2 tuning where the amount of heat generated can be coped by the regular FMIC setup. And yes, I don't doubt for one minute this proven method of cooling is good enough - even for track usage etc.

I'm just trying to think long term and upgrading turbo, internals, possible stroker kit etc, etc all these things mean I would like max cooling as much as possible. Whatever I've read and seen online have pointed to v-mounts as providing even more cooling than FMIC's.

Also, with shorter and more direct piping (less bends etc), I also believe the response will be better for the car than the FMIC.

I will have more of a chat with Chris and get some details on this as I'm not the kinda person who goes for something without being able to see measured benefits. Will get back on this point.

As for the v-mount setup itself, it cools better because the air can flow to the underside of the cooler sat on top but also, it's not just the cooler one is thinking about, it's the rad. You get much better rad cooling than the FMIC setup which forces one core to sit behind the other and the one behind, the rad suffers due to this.

Does this make sense?? :wack:

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
I would have thought the shorter distance would give sharper response but if you start going big power will the IC be able to cope with the rise in power due to its size.

It looks good, but I think you can achieve everything you want with a front mount and it wont cost you as much, I think.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
I cant see the advantage of this to be perfectly honest. No Phil wasnt running a V-Mount on the SR but he is on the 2JZ however he also has a one off custom carbon bonnet to support to location of the V Mount.

Unless your running SERIOUS increase in power then the differance you will notice will be so minimal that you'll think "christ.. why did i bother.." Honestly, imo.. it makes more sence going for a fmic due to the sheer increase in actual air flow directed to the intake. There's other ways you can get around the lack of flow to the rad.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Yeah i mean to be honest if you had bucket loads of spare cash then go for it, as to be honest.. it would look cool as man! However i think it would be a bit of a waste.. but im no expert >.< lol

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There's other ways you can get around the lack of flow to the rad.
Fitting a FULL cooling panel has the same effect on the rad as fitting a 50mm Koyo rad... Also concentrates the flow through the FMIC. I noticed my charge air temps go down when I fitted my Garage Defend panel. Also ensuring that the engine tray is modified to cover the bottom of the FMIC will help (it has to be cut to get it to fit with the FMIC). I couldn't personally live without my air con...

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
that v mount design looks as though it would absorb any heat being drawn off the radiator due to its position.........cant see how that would be good for power - in fact it could only be bad....

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Fitting a FULL cooling panel has the same effect on the rad as fitting a 50mm Koyo rad... Also concentrates the flow through the FMIC. I noticed my charge air temps go down when I fitted my Garage Defend panel. Also ensuring that the engine tray is modified to cover the bottom of the FMIC will help (it has to be cut to get it to fit with the FMIC). I couldn't personally live without my air con...
What does this cooling panel look like Nicely?

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
that v mount design looks as though it would absorb any heat being drawn off the radiator due to its position.........cant see how that would be good for power - in fact it could only be bad....
I think that it would be fine for lower power applications and as said before I also think that the power delivery would be quicker due to the shorter distance from outlet to inlet.

I noticed a big difference with my mr2 rev 3 tubby and the celive gt4 st205. Ok the gt4 is water cooled but the outlet to intake distance was less than half a meter.

Water cooled is more efficient or so I have heard, why not develop a good sized rad and a unit like the gt4's and hey presto you have short outlet to intake distance with efficient charge cooling.

I'll stop waffling and babbling and typing. :D

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
I think I'm in love, is that a bolt on? Its a work of art :nod: Cost?

What happened with the charge cooled S14, the toyotas two types definately proved to be better for the charge cooled.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Not sure. The cost of carbon has increased recently. Both Perfectrun and Greenline sell them though...

Both charge coolers suffered badly from heat soak. Matt's was a much better design too. There's photos of mine in the car section on my tech site.