What's new

Best turbo for SR20DET (Street/Track)

C

Chris S15

Hi All,
I'm in the market for a new turbo.

Here are the specs i want met:

1) Little lag (anything BELOW 4000rpm of boost coming on is fine)
2) Won't die up top (Going strong till redline)
3) Not Snappy (almost vertical power on graph)
4) Will fit the stock position on an S15 (manifold, water/oil lines, dump pipe)
5) Under $1,700
6) Once i have all the supporting mods, i want to reach 250rwkw.

Any advice would be great.

GT-RS? 2871?

I've already got one lined up, but i just want other opinions.

Chris

C

Chris S15

Greatly appreicated!

anxiously waiting for feed back.

I've been offered the GT2860R. Opinions?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I'm not really in a position to say. However, there's a guy on SXOC who's opinion I'd take as gospel...:nod: Just waiting to hear back. :)

B

Brad

Ultimate track turbo HKS 2835 Pro - otherwise street/track hybrid Trust T518Z with a 10cm comp housing.
The 2835 will need to be brought with the manifold kit and a decent set of cams to really shine though.

You will hit high 200's if you want with the 2835 and still have some headroom, or the Trust turbo will give you mid 200's reliably and be much more linear.
Only reason I say the 2835 is that I would assume if its tracked reguarly the rpm would be high enough to negate the low down loss. I know it doesnt fit your conditions but I thought I would throw it out there! :)

Brad.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Right. Here you go...

I'd suggest a GT3071R-WG 0.86 a/r. Theres a few people on here running these with good results. Ian_t for example, pushing a little more than that at 20psi on a stock bottom end, with good boost response. The GT2871R 0.86 a/r should also work well but will have to be pushed a bit harder to make the power.

If your lucky, you can get these for the stated price limit.
And asked if the GT2860RS would achieve what you want...

I don't think it will. Depends how "generous" the dyno is I suppose but really I think you are looking at what you do if aiming for 400hp "flywheel" in the UK. I don't think anyone would recommend a GT28RS for 400hp (I wouldn't).
400bhp at the fly is about 340rwhp...

C

Chris S15

the workshop i go to is rebuilding my t28bb.

when i get it back, it'll be rated to 450hp and will hit 1+ bar at only 3,000rpm SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!

C

Chris S15

machining both housings and fitting something similar to GT30 internals.
It's the workshops secret, and that's about as much as i could get out of them.

C

Chris S15

i'm a little hesitant too, but, i'm trusting them.

they said that if i wasn't 100% happy with it, they'll take it off and put a different turbo on. they're very confident with their setup.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Been speaking to the turbo guru about this again. We await with interest what its like :) He's unsure how its possible to have a 450hp rating and such remarkable spool-up.

It completely possible to do what they say with the rebuild.

...about the largest wheel you can fit into the T28 type frame is that used in the GT3076R from ATP Turbo etc. This uses a GT30 turbine wheel which has been cut down to fit in the T28 turbine housing, and a full size GT30R compressor wheel in a T04E housing. I am unsure if this compressor would fit in the GT28R compressor housing, they don't offer it as an option. http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...OD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-033&Category_Code=GRT
He also warns that a common problem in these types of hybrid turbos is boost creep. If it suffers this, you may have to resort to fitting an external wastegate.

M

Meddy

Nicely said:
I'd be interested to hear what Meddy says about that... :)
:wave:

Ok as you have said later on this kind of thing is possible. Im not sure Id trust a local garage with the machining though. Messing up the profiles of the covers in comparison to the wheels could seriously effect performance. For around the price youve mentioned surely you can buy an off the shelf unit from a respected manufacturer. (Just checked exchange rates maybe not, but for not much more)

One other thing to bear in mind is the effects of machining such a large amount of metal from the inside of the covers. All turbos are containment tested to simulate the effects of a wheel letting go at full speed. Imagine a grenade going off and your not far off the forces involved. Anyway removing a lot of metal could seriously compromise this. I woulnt fancy parts of my turbo coming flying through the firewall and into the passenger compartment.

Finally I also struggle to see how your going to get such good power levels with such a good spool up.