What's new

Engine Damper

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
OK, I bought one of ebay only to find its not a damper. It looks like one but if I fit it it would act more asa brace. Now I'm not an engineer but I would have thought that there should be some give in the engine? If not maybe the stress would be transferred to the gearbox or elsewhere?

Any advice or experience?

G

gingerbreadman

I thought the same and all the mechanics i work with said the same so I cut some of the plastic bushing out of it and replaced it with a old rubber bushing so there is a little bit of play, also be care full if the mount side is non painted it might start to rust your suspension tower it started to on mine so I painted it

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
A proper damper should contain rubber in the piston tube to allow some play. The engine is supposed to move, hence the way its mounted. The art is to get a good balance of reduced movement and additional chassis vibration. Fit an engine damper or uprated engine mounts and you'll immediately notice new cabin vibrations.

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
I found a fluid based damper but its for a skyline gtr, this would be better than a compressed rubber wouldnt it?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yes, but essentially so long as there is some play its working. If you want to do the job properly though, fit uprated engine mounts.

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Cheers Nicely, are the engine mounts easy/ish to do for a reasonably sound mechanic or does it required some kind of engine lift slightly?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Not done it, so don't know. I'd guess that one could be undone, the engine tilted slightly and the mount changed. Then do the other.

The Apex ones will be copies. They may be just as good, they may not. The Cusco ones will have had R&D though.

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Last question, honestly! Even though Apex dont list the S15 I assume the S14 mounts for both engine and box are the same. Thanks.

J

jhinchy

I removed the damper from my car a few weeks ago. It was on the car when it came from japan.
I removed it, so i could get the turbo off. But when i had it off, i noticed it was ceased solid!!
So i left it off, way less vibrations in the cabin, and no nasty side effects noticed yet. :thumbs:

S

StarletRick

you sure its seized up? that are REALLY hard to compress with your hands.

i personally love the engine dampers. they let the engine lean into them when accellerating hard and stop it rocking about when you lift off the throttle. great mod IMO. im trying to find a cheap section one atm for the 15 ^^

you can see it working in this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpwaAA3zpd0.

it takes alot of stress off of the shafts keeping the engine movement under control while accellerating hard. youd be surprised how much they move about when unbraced