What's new

Oil levels

S

StarletRick

right lads, im going to give the car a full fluid change with Royal Purple.

any ideas as to how much oil ill need for....

- Engine
- Gearbox
- Diff housing

muchos thankies.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Engine = 3.5L
Gearbox = 2L
Diff Oil = 1.4L

You will need a square socket for the Diff plugs :nod:

I put a little more into my gearbox filling it from the top inside the car to make the gearbox a little smoother :)

S

StarletRick

2 litres in the box? is that all?

my starlet takes more than that, and the box is about as big as a matchbox.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Sorry if I'm hijack'n the thread.

I just changed my engine oil, I always do midway between services, but this is the first one I've had to do on my S15. I drained the oil out of the car on the jack, then let it down off the jack to drain the rest. Closed it all up, and filled her up. I filled it up to meet the maximum (H) on the dipstick and left the car parked there for a couple of hours, checked the levels again before I went out and it was the same. I've been driving the car all week with no problems but went to check the oil levels again today and its much higher than it had been. If Low to High is 100% its about 25% overfilled?? I'll drain it out before I use it again (just have to wait for the rain / thunder to stop) but why the massive discrepency?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
The user manual actually says the MT capacity is just 1.8L :rotfl:

G

gunner93

Sorry if I'm hijack'n the thread.

I just changed my engine oil, I always do midway between services, but this is the first one I've had to do on my S15. I drained the oil out of the car on the jack, then let it down off the jack to drain the rest. Closed it all up, and filled her up. I filled it up to meet the maximum (H) on the dipstick and left the car parked there for a couple of hours, checked the levels again before I went out and it was the same. I've been driving the car all week with no problems but went to check the oil levels again today and its much higher than it had been. If Low to High is 100% its about 25% overfilled?? I'll drain it out before I use it again (just have to wait for the rain / thunder to stop) but why the massive discrepency?
Best to check your oil level in the morning before you start up the car. :nod:

S

StarletRick

i normally fill up, then run the car for 10 mins to get everything hot, let it cool down and then check.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Cheers starlet, I'll have to do that next time... I had changed the oil when it was warm but topped it up to the full level a couple of hours later after it had all cooled down then I checked it a couple of days later when it was cold and it was too high.

S

StarletRick

is there an exploded diagram anywhere for this? i wouldnt mind doing a proper job and changing the filters etc. just need to know where they are so i can get stuck in ^^