What's new

DET

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
:no:
i had the car rolling roaded the other day at surrey rolling road and asked charlie and ben to put the det cans on as the boost level had gone up since fitting the exhaust and whatnot, plus the car wasnt feeling quite right. (also a big thanks to nicely for stating to be careful when running up at 0.8 bar without a remap, if i hadnt read this i may not of asked for the det cans:thumbs:). turns out to be a good job i went because they said on boost it was detting its tits off, the ecu was seeing the det and leaning it off terribly......the run was stopped and i limped it home:rolleyes:

they said that it seems as though the base timing could be out for reasons unknown, and i should get the car to jez asap.

the car doesnt feel or sound like any permanent damage has been done, off boost it drives fine and im hoping that its just a case of jez altering the timing and maybe doing a remap to make sure its 100% perfect, but my dilemma is do i hand the car over to him now (im not using it at the moment), or wait till the end of the week and fit the fmic before i do. at least that way hell be mapping it to what ill have fitted - then i can just go back for remaps when i get the other necessary parts?

luckily ever since the hot weather started i have been taking it easy and avoiding prolonged time on even mid boost (0.5bar), but obviously now i have first hand seen how much it can det just from having these minor mods (turbo back decat and pod filter) i would definitely recommend that people in the same position be careful or have it checked. Many thanks nicely!!

what are peoples opinions on what to do about the fmic? do i just concentrate on him getting the car right or fit the fmic and then hand it over?

any help/opinions appreciated.:)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Fit the FMIC first. No point paying £350 for a chip and custom map only to have to go back and pay another £200 for a remap. Get everything fitted, then go :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
cheers nicely, i'll do that then mate. does a setup and remap normally eliminate knock, or reduce it to acceptable levels? in other words, provided the engine isnt damged (of which its giving no indication), do you think jez will be able to sort it by setting up and mapping?

cheers again bud:thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If there are no other problems, you will come away with a det free mapping, nice even power delivery across the rev range and should also see your fuel consumption improve :) Make sure you fill up with the petrol you will usually use and turn boost up to the level you want (when you get to the session).

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
will do matey. was on the tesco99, i know it sounds a bit anal but read up on some scientific testing they did and it didnt perform as well as even bp ultimate at 98 ron:confused:, ill stick with the vpower. on a cossie engine they saw an increase of around 24bhp over tesco by advancing the igniton timing a little and that was on optimax 98. (test is old though - banzai '53 mar 06, optimax was 95.9p at the time according to the feature:eek:) those were the days....... just thought if its performed best under tests then why not

btw spoke to jez a while ago and i feel totally reassured. he just said 'yep no problem we'll sort it out, and if you want it mapped we'll do that too'. ive got confidence in the guy already, also due to him being highly recommended on here:thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Do a search on GTROC for BP Ultimate and see what they say. I never have and never will touch the stuff. Tesco 99 or Vpower only in mine.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
will do, but i'm not going to use it anyway. if i get mapped on vpower and get stuck, would a little tesco 99 be ok till i get to a shell?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
That does not sound too good Dean.

Almost makes me want to leave my Apex induction kit & FMIC off untill I have the EBC, exhaust and other bits to go with it before fitting.

That way I can take it straight for a remap once its all on.

Hope you get it sorted mate :)

Reaction score
Country
Oh christ...the sooner i get my EBC and FMIC fitted the sooner i can get it mapped!!

Just fitted my fuel pump so i one step closer :)

Btw does anyone have a decent boost setup for a Greddy Profec B II running @ 0.8 & 1 Bar (gain, set etc) for a base setup i can start playing with ?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
for now im gonna get jez to fit a hks adjustable actuator as i dont yet have the avcr or injectors and z32 afm or mani, he recommends fitting one with these mods anyway to stop the boost tailing off at high revs, so ill have it fitted and set at around a bar and get him to do a further remap as and when i get the rest of the stuff:), at least for the boost can be set accurately to one setting.

Reaction score
Country
Gonna get mine mapped at low 0.8 Bar and High 1.0. This will be with full turbo back, apexi filter, FMIC, fuel pump and Greddy Profec B II.

Later when i can afford the injectors and Z32 ill get it mapped at 1.2 Bar.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
well apex sell new for 79, no offence mate:thumbs: but if new i know it'll be perfect. after this i dont want any more probs......

Reaction score
£40 is a bargin if i do say so myself! if i didn't already have 2.... =o/ i'd take it! LOL

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
ok nicely you twisted my arm (along with dazzoi - is he on commision:rotfl:)), after all the money its costing to do all the other stuff i might as well save a bit where i can. is it in good nick/got any pics? (i dont expect brand new for 40:), long as its not rusty!)

please let me know and ill sort out payment:thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its in as good a condition as you'd expect being attached to something which reaches temperatures of around 500C :p I'll give it a clean and take a photo if you like :)

P

Pazz

Just to ask another question on this (and not make another thread etc)...

Will the stock setup only be providing these lean pathches in the rev range once the boost is increased?

I am creeping to near on 0.9kg/cm3 sometimes and the only engine mods are full 3" turbo back exhaust and air filter. I dont have an EBC and have kept the the boost solenoid plumbed in (no FBU for me thanks :cool:).

But am I running the risk with this setup? Should I be buying an EBC ASAP?