DET

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The lean patches are there on the stock JDM map. Increase boost and you increase the risk of det. If you're not remapping yet, I'd be inclined to get an FMIC first.

Reaction score
Country
so for any one fitting exhaust and air filter there's no risk of detting untill you up the boost or remap the ecu, for thouse of us without the KNOWLAGE:notworthy:

(new to all the lingo) wht dose fmic stand for?:eek:

Reaction score
Country
You could still be taking a risk, DeanS15 recently rolling roaded his with just the same mods and was getting lots of detting on boost. Its made me be much more careful until i can get my car mapped...which i cant do till i get my FMIC sent by APEX :(

Also my car creeps to nearly 1 bar of boost over 5500RPM. This is with just an Apexi air filter, 3" turbo back exhaust & modded OEM Recirc valve. Ive fitted my EBC tonight and will be limiting the boost to 0.7 bar until its mapped (@ 1.0 Bar).

Last edited:
S

StarletRick

Btw does anyone have a decent boost setup for a Greddy Profec B II running @ 0.8 & 1 Bar (gain, set etc) for a base setup i can start playing with ?

ive been using the profec B for years mate, i can set them up pretty quickly and get them holding constant boost.

seeing as youre an essex lad aswell, you can pop over and ill set it up for you if youre not sure.

5 mins in the passenger seat up the A12 should do it ^^

Reaction score
Country
Why did you do this? To get more pigeon noise or something?
Nope, simply because it has a hole to leak boost pressure so i blocked it up. The theory being it wont leak when i get the car mapped running higher boost and should help boost slightly quicker.

Reaction score
Country
ive been using the profec B for years mate, i can set them up pretty quickly and get them holding constant boost.

seeing as youre an essex lad aswell, you can pop over and ill set it up for you if youre not sure.

5 mins in the passenger seat up the A12 should do it ^^
Cheers mate, hopefully ill get a chance to give it a play tomorrow and ill shout if i hit any niggles. Will only be sticking to about 0.7-0.8 Bar to begin with as i cant run it at 1.0 Bar till the car is properly mapped. Whats a good SET and GAIN to start with for low boost ?

S

StarletRick

i run low boost at spring rate with a 0% set and no gain.

helps keep the wastegate open to discourage boost, good for fuel economy.

as for tuning the hi boost. every car is different. ive probably setup 7 or 8 starlets with the profec, all with similar mods, and each settings were different and needed customisation in some way or another. one of those things you can only tell by having a play.

having a good set and gain makes a hell of a difference. i got my starlet spooling 700 rpm faster just by playing about with it. and that made all the difference as full boost was around 5,500 rpm on a TD06, lol.

Reaction score
Country
Ok then, ill have a go at setting it up bit at a time till i can get a working setup going. Whereabouts are you anyway ?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
UPDATE

turns out the ignition timing was well and truly retarded and jez had that sorted and the car running better within two minutes, so thats probably the main cause of the det. since i had finished fitting the fmic i got from the apex gb - while i was there i had him fit a profec b and do a remap - WOW what a difference. lo set to 0.6 bar (not bad - still plenty powerful for daily use) and hi boost set to 1.2 bar (AMAZING:D). now i know why the guy comes so highly recommended - i thoroughly felt at ease leaving my car with the man and would recommend him to anyone!!!

thanks guys:)

Reaction score
Country
1.2 Bar ? Have you fitted Injectors and Z32 AFM as well ?? I thought the max on standard injectors and AFM was about 1.0 Bar ?

Reaction score
UPDATE

turns out the ignition timing was well and truly retarded and jez had that sorted and the car running better within two minutes, so thats probably the main cause of the det. since i had finished fitting the fmic i got from the apex gb - while i was there i had him fit a profec b and do a remap - WOW what a difference. lo set to 0.6 bar (not bad - still plenty powerful for daily use) and hi boost set to 1.2 bar (AMAZING:D). now i know why the guy comes so highly recommended - i thoroughly felt at ease leaving my car with the man and would recommend him to anyone!!!

thanks guys:)
Advanced you mean :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
no he did say retarded:confused:.....someone had messed around with the cam angle sensor at some point and he spotted that it had been adjusted way too far forward just by looking at it.

jez - as for fuelling - he could of easily sold me a z32 afm and injectors but he said i didnt need them at this stage. this is with a 255l/hr pump, turbo back exhaust and decat, apex type 1 fmic, hks filter, denso ik22's and greddy profec b plus all hard pipes and boost hoses replaced. he said the duty cycle was fine on the stock injectors. he also said the next stage could be with a ss manifold, z32 afm and injectors with a hks actuator - but from there im on to bigger turbos.

thats pretty much what came from him today......i really do value the opinion of people on the forum but i'd rather take his recomendation as its his job- and please nobody take offence as im sure you'll probably agree:)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I'd have thought that the AFM would be right on the limit at 1.2 bar and although the injectors may not be maxxed, I'd be surprised if they are running under the comfort zone 80%. However, every car is different. Its just that I personally wouldn't be happy running that boost with standard injectors and AFM on my car :)

G

gunner93

Dean15, Nicely,

Why is it I've maxed out on my stock injectors (100% peak duty cycle on my commander) at WOT ie. full load.

My set up :

1) Pod Intake and 3" exhaust from elbow to muffler.
2) Z32 AFM
3) Walbro 255L
4) FMIC
5) Splitfire coil packs
6) Denso Iridium IK22
7) FPR at 3 bar
8) EBC at <1 bar
9) Power FC

But my knock readings did not go beyond 18. I'm still using stock internals, head gasket, turbo & injectors. Sought a few opinions and most pointed their fingers at my stock injectors.

Should I retune?

Last edited: