What's new

switching off airbag

D

D BOY

just got a carbon dash cover but it covers the passenger airbag. Any way of turning it off coz i wouldnt want carbon bits everywhere:eek:

D

D BOY

well i just dont want them to be covered in bits of carbon if it went off, if you cant switch it off whats the situation with pulling a fuse???

Reaction score
I agree with Nicely, why not get a professional bodywork guy to cut out a secton of your carbon dash so that the SRS unit is still free and not covered.

To disable the srs from firing you must first disconnect the battery and remove the rear dogseats. There you will find in the centre the master control unit/ accelerometer/ g-sensor. Unplug the side that is connected to the passenger side.

Alternatively, though not recommended you may also try prying open the SRS airbag cutout, carefully so that the module is visible. There will be a switch of some sort, just unplug that. However many people discourage this idea because there's no gurantee that the airbag may fire again in the future.

Im converting my dashboard soon to the satnav spec one so i'm also looking at ways to get about this problem. And from other forums and chats with friends the former is the preferred way to go.

Cheers. And safety first.

Reaction score
Hehe yeah, im sorry, my dad has a sl300 and he calls them dogseats. It is quite a valid term for a coupe's rear seats.

Anyway cheers.

D

D BOY

lol, cool. well im now stuck again

I removed the rear seat and found this

now if i remove those wires will it disarm all my air bags?? if so how do you just disconnect the passenger one??

Reaction score
Country
I know its an old thread but im after the answer now too. I want to remove all the sound deadening from the floor but dont want to go banging hammers around that control unit there. What have the rest of you done when you remove the sound deadening? Also what would actually happen if i just unplugged it and carried on my merry way?

Thanks in advance...

S

s15gt

ditch the airbag its worth 4kgs!

you want to trick the module into thinking the bags still there otherwise its going to throw a fault code and your drivers bag wont pop in an accident either!
To do that run a 3ohm 1/4w or higher resistor in series with a 1amp fuse.
The module will think the bags still there and if it trys to pop it no harm will be done since the fuse will just pop.

Regards,
Rob

Reaction score
Country
I removed all the sound proofing on mine. Swapped the standard wheel with a Nardi and removed the control box from under the rear seats. Seemed pointless having an airbag left in the passenger side so i removed that too! I also spent half an hour stripping my cluster down and removed the airbag LED so no warning lights.

Reaction score
Country
I want to keep my airbags (have to to keep it road legal in NZ) But i dont want to set them off by vibrating the bajeezus out of that control box there. Will i be safe if i just unplug the battery wait abit for any residual current to disappear and then get into it?