What's new

Front Aero Modifications

Reaction score
Well I have had my Spec R Aero kit for the last two and a half years and I quite frankly want to up the game. The front bumper has taken a beating, well from the previous owner and I have brought it to a decent state but it still has lots of under rubs and some slight flaking frombeing banged up so I am thinking of modding it a little with either some good plastic work or someone that can glass it well. I am thinking of cutting the center part between the headlights to make it look similar to I think the Vertex front bar, like what Topper has,

so that it has the spce between the bonnet and the top of the bumper, you know what I'm tlaking about. At the same time I will get the guy to move the number plate to the side and cut and shut the center location, I will prefer the center to be done in plastic and I have some local people that can do the job. Yeah some may say just get a front bar but over here getting anything aftermarket is hella expensive and shipping to top it off is killer. The Aero bars are not common either but what the heck I want something different. Has anyone attempted this or is this a first time thing :eek:?

Last edited:
G

gunner93

I have seen one aero bumper with the gap you'd mentioned. I will try to post the pic for you. I liked it and still looking for decent body shops in my area to do it for me. Its more of functionality for me. I was hesitant to get the hooded bonnet since its dusty on the engine. I was wondering if the gap really helps the radiator cooling. Can I still fix the cooling panel with the gap opened?

Last edited:
Reaction score
i'd ditch the idea and go for what this dude had done. if you must open the vent under the bonnet, please take note you will most probably need to cut the headlight supporting bracket so it won't obstruct the opening. why not make a opening vent like the c-west kit for the air intake? plus with the removal of the number plate and the bar in between the intercooler, that would make something special i guess...

S15 aero front bumper mod

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Except for the cosmetic look, it would achieve nothing. The air flow from the vent would flow over the top of the radiator. I notice that you've already got a decent air duct hose for the filter. From an air flow perspective, fitting a GD cooling panel would achieve substantially more and probably cost less.

Reaction score
:smitten:

but where the plate going to go? :wack:

mines in the front window at the moment - is that illegal or if its readable is that fine?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
IMHO, why would you want to butcher an original aero bar? They are rare as it is. If you want to cut one up, I'll swap you my standard bar.

B

baynz

R spec number plate in the window is illegal and u can get booked for it im affriad, it sucks i know.

Reaction score
IMHO, why would you want to butcher an original aero bar? They are rare as it is. If you want to cut one up, I'll swap you my standard bar.
Note my location, I am in Trinidad and I am doing it mainly for cosmetic. Also Nicely, that is just a pic I pulled not one of mine. I just find the top part of the aero to be too flat and plain unnlike other bumpers where it is vented. Also, yes I know I have to remove the center part of the support bar between the headlights, I ain't gonna make that a problem. We'll see how it goes and anyone with pics please post.

Reaction score
Found this R-Spec,

Looks decent, I am going to bring the center part a little further downward but that is the idea behind it. We'll see how it goes, and yes this is mainly for asthetics not for cooling although I can put the oil cooler behind there and it can be functional, hmmmmm.

Reaction score
Not bad but should have not been so sharp, or may be it's just the angle of the pic, but I think it looks different and that is what I am going for. The good thing with glassing it is that it is easier to mold and curve it unlike the plastic which takes much more work but then again plastic can take more thrashing.

G

gunner93

But surely the air flow through that gap into the radiator flow over to the engine area should account for some % cooling process no?

Reaction score
that white one looks quite good and am liking the orange bumper too. Go for it man who dares wins!!

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
that looks pretty cool getting rid of the rectangle, but imo i dont like the Aero bumper.. It looks too busy and jagggy.. i would prefer a BN Front Bumper. Also, Why is it everyone called it a bar? I dont get it...

Reaction score
Aussies tend to call it a front bar. I mself call it a bumper but just from being on those aussie sites I caught the virus.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
yeah, we call them bar's. shortened from bumber bar.

Reaction score
Gonna be doing it this week hopefully, I have a next bump that I can get an idea from, it's a URAS for my project car so I am going to follow the same concept to do the top part.