What's new

Should Diff Noise Really Be This Bad?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I know there are a lot of threads about diff but I thought it would be best to start a new one (sorry).

I've got a Nismo diff on my car, that I think is a 1.5 way.

Its always been a bit noisy.

Last weekend I added sub frame locking collar to my car and now its absolutely awful.

I knew this might make it worse but I wanted to check if what I'm experiencing is ok or there is something wrong going on with it.

I get noise on all these occasions:

1) When moving around slowly, gets worse when steering.
2) Pulling out of junctions or going around 90 degree bends I get really loud clunking.
3) When changing gear in low gears I get a massive clunk when I dip the clutch.
4) Since adding the locking collars I've been getting very fast clunking noises when driving in a straight line at time.

There are other occasions but these are the worst times.

I'm just concerned if this is normal, or if I have a problem with it?

Seriously considering selling it and going back to a standard diff.

Anyone have any ideas what a second hand Nismo diff is worth and how much it might cost me to buy a standard one and have it fitted?

Any help is appreciated,

Darren

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Diff noise increases when you add locking collars, as it transmits straight through the sub frame. Mine is quite vocal and I've got the Helical. If you've got a 1.5 way diff, its going to increase the noise even more...

W

WATDA

Ive got a nismo 1.5 way and just put in collars too and yes there is alot of clunking and diff noise especially when high in the rev range on the motorway, can feel the drivetrain noise getting transmitted through the body

Reaction score
I've sat in an R32 and S13 with Nismo LSDs, the R32 was truely aweful but the S13 was fine.
However there are many modified R32/33/34s and S13/14/15s at work and you can hear the tyres scraping and the diffs clonking in the car park.

Reaction score
Ive got a 2way in mine and ye its loud too, but it does the job. Its normal for the clicking and clunking man

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Yeah I always knew these diff are meant to be noisy and I also knew adding the locking collars could make it worse.

As long as this is normal to be making this much noise thats all Im bothered about.

It does get a bit much sometime and I always get people looking at me like my car is broken when they hear it.

I am tempted to sawp it out for a standard one but it would be alot of effort to do all that.

Im not going to take the locking collars off though as they have made the back of the car feel so much better :D

D

david

Euro auto salvage have a few second hand standard diffs if u want one there in northern ireland and they break s15s from japan! i still have my standard diff and wont ever change it because its not loud and still locks when u want some fun..

M

Matt_S

Darren, if you want to pop over or me meet you out one day I can. Ill come for a drive and tell you what I think. Ive had a 2 way before, so can tell you if its anythign more than the usual whines/clonks etc if thats what youre worried about. Actually, I should be heading back up the A12 on Sunday evening if you wanted to meet then. Drop me a PM if you do :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
subframe locking collars are c shaped aluminium discs that are placed between the subframe bushes and the car before tightening the subframe mount bolts up. this removes any play from the sloppy standard bushes, tightens up the rear end of the car and improves power transfer to the wheels - the cost is you have to put up with more noise from the diff being transferred into the car......i thought the benefits were very good for the cost but didnt like all the new noise so im going for poly subframe bushes instead. here is a link for the locking collars - http://www.apexperformance.co.uk/ca...53&PHPSESSID=7aef396e38701430d570acc8d1a1c93b

hope this explains:thumbs: