Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Meddy Guest

Gearbox Oil Replacement

Last night I was starting to think about replacing my gearbox oil Ive had sat in the garage for months (Does anyone see a pattern forming here? ), but looking under the car I couldnt really see a way of getting the oil back into the box.

What I mean is I could see the fill plug but without the car being on a lift didnt think it would be possible to fill it. With the Diff I just ran a section of hose and poured the oil in through gravity, but Im not sure this will work with the box as its quite a climb uphill from the cars underbody to the fill hole.

Anyway enough rambling ideas and the way you did it please.

Thanks.

Liked
    Like you say, diff oil is reasonable easy (except getting the plugs out ):

I did the gearbox oil from the top. Took out the gearbox boots and cover and just pour it in. However, after putting the gearbox cover back on, I wished I'dd tried the hose method. The two bolts on the engine side are a right bastard to get to (as in, underneath is the only way). Filling is piss easy though. Also allows the overfill that I've mentioned before.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicely
    Nice Tanline

Even you anti Scots love a bit of Tartan

Meddy Guest
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but finally got my lazy ass into gear and drained my gearbox oil. Glad Nissan got rid of the plugs and used bolts on the S15. Now next question Nicely you say you struggled with the cover plate on the box but does this have to come off, or can I just remove the gearshift with this in place as Ive seen suggested on SXOC? Id have a look in the manual myself but unfortunately its packed away ready for moving house. I may run a hose through the engine bay I cant decide. Will sort refilling tomorrow.

Thanks for any help.

Liked
    I also have new gearbox oil aiting in the garage
    Would like to use the filler hole to fill it up again. But where is it??
    Nissan GTR -09 Now with Cobb accessport stage 2

Liked
    Looked at my photos. It may be possible to fill by removing the gearshift. Didn't try it though...

As for the fill hole. Bottom plug is the drain, top one the fill plug. Not easy...

Meddy Guest
    Ok I did it. I just undid the four bolts holding on the gearstick and mount, removed the two easy ones and the front right twisted the mount out of the way and filled it. I used a ratcheting ring spanner and found I could get the two front bolts easily from inside the car.

Liked
    Front two are easy

Did you try just taking the gear shift out?

Meddy Guest
    Front two are easy

By front I mean the two towards the engine/front of the car which you cant just drop a socket on.

I had a look at taking the gearstick out but its not as easy a job as on the 14's There are 2 rubber seals, the second of which I decided I would probably run the risk of tearing to remove. The workshop manual says to just cut them off to remove them.

Undoing the four mounting bolts was much easier.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddy
    Front two are easy

By front I mean the two towards the engine/front of the car which you cant just drop a socket on.

I had a look at taking the gearstick out but its not as easy a job as on the 14's There are 2 rubber seals, the second of which I decided I would probably run the risk of tearing to remove. The workshop manual says to just cut them off to remove them.

Undoing the four mounting bolts was much easier.
    So you just removed the steel flange looking thing with four bolts on it and filled it up from inside the car??
    The centre console (the bit with the card holder and everything) is easy to remove (4 screws and 2 cables after removing stereo sorround piece)
    Would removing that make the oil change a piece of cake????
    Nissan GTR -09 Now with Cobb accessport stage 2