What's new

Turbo Flange Gasket Leak!

Reaction score
Hi Mates,

I have noticed that the exhaust manifold turbo flange on my S15 is leaking slightly...my mechanic says this is a common problem on all Nissan, whether its CA18DET or SR20DET...the bolts on the turbo flange comes loose over time...i hear slight ticking sound on idle and when revved :censored:...my mechanic confirmed this by placing his hand near the turbo flange and revving up the engine slightly...he felt exhaust gases escaping at the turbo flange...:annoyed:

anybody has found any solution to this problem so that it does not recur again? your experience and feedback is highly appreciated

:thumbs:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
There is a MLS gasket available from Nissan. The part number is somewhere on this webpage. What you can do to prevent the nuts from cooming loose is to get locking nuts and new locking tabs. Or go extreme and weld it :)

Getting a flexi section in the front pipe is supposed to help too.

Reaction score
Hi Mate,

Could i get the part no for the MLS gasket, locking nut and locking tabs? Or can anyone else help me on this? :wave:

How about use of loctite? Will that help?

G

GUEST_JDM

gcg turbo's sell inkanel studs that dont strech with heat not sure on my spelling there sorry lol and when you buy the suds you get oval locking nuts too!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country

Copper or brass nuts (oval, locking) are all you need. Make sure the studs are in tight, then use a hole punch to damage the stud thread on the OPPOSITE side of the mani flange from the nut (as close into the flange as possible). This will effectively lock the stud in. That's assuming its a tubular mani...

As mentioned, a flexi-pipe will help. Also ensure that it has the mounting bracket between on the cat/front pipe flange.

Reaction score
Hi Nicely,

Could you please show me some photos of locking the studs in place? FYI, my manifold is still stock...

Thanks in advance mate...

Reaction score
Hi Nicely,

Thanks for the quick reply...then it could be leaking from the turbo outlet pipe then?

i do not have a flexible joint currently...plan to upgrade to a Tomei turbo outlet pipe and a 3 inch pipe with flexible joint in the near future...

will check it further by using hoist so that i can determine the source of the leak...

thank you mates for your guidance...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its most likely to be the turbo to mani gasket which is leaking, but there is a chance it could be the turbo to elbow gasket. Same thing applies to the nuts and studs on the elbow :)

G

gunner93

Tubs,

Too much of Wangan for you? LOL

Have the bolts and nuts tightened up as a first fix. A flexi hose also helps I must say.

Reaction score
Gunner,

Can the bolts be tightened without removing the exhaust manifold from underneath the car?

G

gunner93

Gunner,

Can the bolts be tightened without removing the exhaust manifold from underneath the car?
Thats what I'd do first. Ken of X-Factory can easily help you out there. The drifters does it after every event, tightening all bolt and nuts under the car.

G

gunner93

Looks like Silviatubs had a cracked mani after meeting him and it sounded like a tractor with diesel engine.

It seems like its a common defect. Can a engine dampener help? I've read somewhere the dampener causes more vibration to the car body and put more stress on the engine mounting and gear box mounting. Any experience to share on how to reduce mani cracking incidence?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks like Silviatubs had a cracked mani after meeting him and it sounded like a tractor with diesel engine.

It seems like its a common defect. Can a engine dampener help? I've read somewhere the dampener causes more vibration to the car body and put more stress on the engine mounting and gear box mounting. Any experience to share on how to reduce mani cracking incidence?
mates,

spoke to a couple of guys and apparently this is a common problem with all turbo engine on cylinder no.4 which is the closest to the firewall...:furious:

due to extreme heat over time, they degrade and crack even if its a stainless steel aftermarket manifold....:mad:

i have heard that someone makes steam pipe manifolds...i believe they are stronger and would like to hear the feedback of mates who are using them currently... :D

your feedback regarding this matter, is highly appreciated...

Reaction score
Hi Nicely,

Mine was a stock cast iron exhaust manifold and it still cracked on the no.4 cylinder runner just before the collector...i bought a stainless steel equal length tubular manifold as it can welded back even if there are cracks...

i bought another stock manifold just in case if i crack the current one...any other stronger manifold out there? how do i eliminate or prevent the manifold cracking incidence?