What's new

Stage One Tuning

Reaction score
Gents

After driving in a friend's (ugly) tuned Scooby, i've now caught the tuning bug! So what I have so far is just the Apexi filter with heat shield. I only want to do the following:

• FMIC
  • Colder Spark Plugs
  • Nismo 555 Injectors
  • Increase boost
  • ECU Remap
Firstly, how much should this all cost? And second, to anyone else whos done this, was the power difference notable?

I get about 320miles from 60litres mainly from city driving which is 24.2MPG but others seem to get 27-32MPG. My car has never had a remap since arriving in the country so doing the mods above and remap should help the MPG right?

Reaction score
you'll get all that sorted for about £1100

£350 for fmic
£40 for plugs
£300 for injectors
£100 for boost controller
£300 for mapping

believe me though, it won't stop there! LOL

do you have an exhaust, decat, downpipe and elbow installed????

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
bit more for a boost controller... but other is about right....theres lots of things which will appear which u will have to upgrade along with everything else u will also need a fuel pump...

is ur a cat back system with turbo elbow and down pipe if not u will wanna get them aswell...

oh and that price isnt including fitting aswell... unless u will fit those parts urself the injectors u wont be able to fit untill u get it remaped... it might help if u get a Z32 AFM aswell...

Reaction score
Country
Dont forget an uprated fuel pump @ £80

The first thing id change is the breathing, get yourself a turbo back system including decat.

M

Matt_S

A proper map will save you money in the long run. Thats for sure.
I dont think Id get anything less than a Power FC tho. And there was one for sale on here last week.
Induction, Exh, FMIC, Inj, Fuel pump. Yeh youre thinking along the right lines.
Then comes the wheels/tyres, suspension, arbs and brakes to make it easier to use all that new found power :wack:

Reaction score
oops i forgot to mention that i also have hks silent power exhaust, decat and downpipe.no turbo elbow though. i was hoping the lot could be done for a grand but it looks more like 2. id like more power but if im going to do this id want to do it in one go so my car is finished but im getting the vibes that its going to be another never ending spending spree and i really dont want that unless you guys can convince me that there is a notable power difference with all the mods i suggested plus an uprated fuel pump and afm.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I've not started performance tuning but will do soon :nod:

However, from what I've read on this forum which offers sensible no bullsh*t advice, doing what you've listed should yield a significant amount of power upgrade and with the standard T28 tubby, you should be able to hit 320 bhp or there abouts.

Once you fit FMIC and up the boost levels to 1 bar or slightly more then APEXi PFC (recommended) and remap is a must because the dreaded detonation will more than likely occur if this is not done.

And with the Silvia being so light, the power to weight gains must be an advantage over tuning heavy ass cars :)

M

Matt_S

I wouldnt run more than the std boost with the bolt on mods. You gain boost by fitting them and you can still hit det without raising the boost. Sure, loads have done it and been OK but do you really want the risk?

P

Pazz

Are injectors a must? Even if you arent after big power. Anyone know at what power the 480s would become the limiting factor?

I also cringe whenever anyone says APEXi PFC, just at the sheer price of buying + setup etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got my Power FC + Commander from here :- http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/JPS...sooZ2QQfsopZ3QQfsubZ4QQsaselZ38341849QQsofpZ0

and it was set up by RC Developments. I also got this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLYING-NISSAN...yZ130632QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

instead of using the seperate dump and downpipe with a gasket that can fail in between them. Im running about 1.2bar boost but haven't had it on any rollers yet so I don't know the BHP,must get it done soon though. I think I need a Z32AFM but haven't seen any for sale and a new uprated fuel pump,then I will take it back to RC for another tune up:thumbs:.

Reaction score
Country
If you dont want to go down the PFC route id get a custom map by Jez @ Horsham developments.

If your going for over 1.0 bar (1.2 bar is best your gonna get for standard tubbie going by other people i trust) then injectors, Z32 AFM (or PFC Djetro with MAP sensor) are a must. The standard injectors are actually rated at 440 so will be over maxxed at 1.2 bar.

Im gong to get mine mapped at 1.0 Bar by Jez @ H-Dev using standard injectors and AFM along with my induction kit, full turbo back exhaust, FMIC and uprated fuel pump should be fine until i can afford the injectors and Z32 AFM unless anyone thinks otherwise ?

P.S. With the above do i NEED an EBC to map for 1 bar ? Im trynig to get everything done to a safe level as cheap as possible for now.

W

WATDA

A EBC is a must, brings oost on alot harder than the factory controller. Im running 1.2 bar with 850cc sard injectors, Walbro fuel pump, Z32 afm, EBC, FMIC, Dump pipe and 2 1/2" exhaust and NA throttle body and its putting out about 205rwkw without any major tuning yet. Im runing a remapped computer

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
But is it actually a MUST ? I mean can the boost safely be at @ 1.0 Bar when remapped without one ? I just need to get the car setup as safe as possile with a very reseved budget. I wont skimp out on the important parts (like a decent fuel pump) but i just dont have the money at the moment for 'luxeries'.

W

WATDA

If you remap the factory ecu you can adjust the boost via that. Im sure a boost tap will do the job if you are on a budget. Just with the factory boost solnoid boost comes on way slow. EBC = awesome

Reaction score
I currently have a standard Specr Turbo, 480CCs, Blitz FMIC, Greddy Intercooler Piping, Greddy Intake, Apexi Air Filter, HKS SSQV, Greddy J-Pipe, HKS Downpipe, Kakimoto 3" Exhaust, Koyo Rad, Walbro Pump, Sard FPR, Greddy Profec B Spec II EBC, Lightened Alternator and Water Pump Pulleys and an L-Jetro Apexi Power FC. Do you'll recommend upgrading the injectors to run higher boost or running the injectors at 4 bar with the FPR? Also would it make sense to use a Z32 MAF for my application at 1.0bar?

P

Pazz

I just need to get the car setup as safe as possile with a very reseved budget. I wont skimp out on the important parts (like a decent fuel pump) but i just dont have the money at the moment for 'luxeries'.
This is pretty much what I want to do as well. I'm not after big power or high boost levels above 1bar etc. I want to keep it civilised and reasnobly efficient on fuel. This is my daily driver afterall.

I would definetly add an EBC to the list Jez. Awesome pieces of kit, enables customised boost in relation to speed/rpm etc dependent on the model ofcourse. HKS EVC FTW!

So a list something like this:
- Standard injectors and AFM
- Induction kit
- Full turbo back exhaust
- FMIC
- Fuel pump
- EBC @ 1 bar
- Custom remap of ECU

I'm only really after somewhere above 250bhp/tonne @ fly (just over 300 @ fly) which puts most everyday 'quick' cars in their place.

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
in the long run i would change the injectors at the same time as if u wanna change the mapping it will cost another mapping amount which will cost....making sure everything is working fine before going to the mapper is a must...

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
This is what I personally think its a step one tune.

fuel pump
FMIC
induction kit
turboback exhaust
colder spark plugs
boost controller set at 0.8 bar @98Ron fuel

That's basically what I'm running and it's pretty close to 250rwhp.

I think next step would be
Z32AFM
550 or 740 injectors
remap on stock or aftermarket ECU
cams (if you really want to max the stock turbo)
exhaust manifold (maybe not necessary)
Upped boost to 1-1.2Bar
Might need a new head gasket.

The step after that is when everything goes crazy and the parts are choosed basically on which turbo and what effect your aiming at.
If youre going for this step then you can disregards the abov 2 steps and get the parts needed from the start. So if you want 800hp, 550cc injectors isn't going to do you any good :wack:

This is just the engine tuning parts.
I would strongly recommend looking over the engine cooling, brakes and suspension to be able to use the extra horsepower to the intended application.