What's new

Quietest LSD

Reaction score
Wiki comes to the rescue again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

Basically with a 2-way diff the same amount amount of locking is applied regardless of whether the input torque is positive i.e. from engine, of negative i.e braking.
With a 1.5 way it is setup assymetrically to provide more locking with throttle than under braking.
With 1 way locking is only provided for throttle only (unless you install it the wrong way around!)

My understanding is that a 2way is prefered by drifters and a 1.5way is good for track (the slight locking during braking provides some stability).

S

s15andy.s

Ive got a Nismo on mine.

No idea if it is a 1.5 or 2 way (came on the car).

If you want quiet then Nismo is not for you.

It clunks and bangs all the time, and Im sure people think I cannot drive or my car is broken half the time when Im pulling on of junctions and stuff :rotfl:
Ha ha lol....mine is the exact same way..peeps think my cars fooked:p

Reaction score
The helical will put the power down more efficiently than a locker.
I am amazed at how well the S15 doesnt light the wheels up with 75 odd more bhp than the S14 used to have. ANd my S14 ran a Kaaz 2 way.

You can drift with a helical, but you have to be REALLY agressive. Ive not tried it yet, but thats what Ive been led to believe.
Mmm mine lights up the rears really easily and looks good snaking about and handles really well whilst doing this,not sure what is fitted I think its standard but not sure are there any markings that I can check to see:).
I have been drifting in mine at Silverstone on a Driftworks day it took a bit to get it going but once it started it was great and serious fun:thumbs:.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Ha ha lol....mine is the exact same way..peeps think my cars fooked:p
Does make me wonder if mine was ever set up correctly when it got put on the car though.

Almost tempted to swap it out for a standard one, but not sure I can be bothered with the hassel of it all.

M

Matt_S

I don't think the stock Helical LSDs are better on putting the power down
to the ground as compared to an aftermarket 1.5/2way lsd.
Yeh, OK mate. Ill take the 3 years I had a 2 way on my S14 and bury it then, cos you are obviously a more knowledgeable fountain....

My S15 runs more camber on the rear (atm) than my S14 did, approx 70-80bhp more than the S14 did and yet even with the shorter gearing of the 6 spd box, STILL puts it down better on the helical than the S14 did with a Kaaz 2 way.

So, err, despite what youre saying about 'on the limits' and 'flat out' driving, Id beg to differ that for fast road and the odd track day, the plain old helical diff they come with as std is gonna get my vote. The ease of maintenance alone swings it for me!

M

Matt_S

Mmm mine lights up the rears really easily and looks good snaking about and handles really well whilst doing this,not sure what is fitted I think its standard but not sure are there any markings that I can check to see:).
I have been drifting in mine at Silverstone on a Driftworks day it took a bit to get it going but once it started it was great and serious fun:thumbs:.
Jack the rear in the air.
spin the drivers wheel as if youre driving it forwards.
Check to see what the passengers is doing.
If it goes the same way, you got a LSD on there.
If it goes the opposite way to the drivers wheel, youre looking at a helical (or an open diff PMSL :p )