What's new

lifter noise

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i just wondered if its common for there to be a bit of lifter noise on the sr20dets for the first couple of minutes from cold? normally by the time im out of our village the noise has gone, but wondered if top end treatments such as forte's work well on these cars?

mine doesnt need oil changing as that looks new, and when i swapped rocker covers over there were no deposits whatsoever inside indicating its been well serviced oil wise......its supposed to have only done 58k km's so the lifters shouldn't be on thier way out should they as the sound is not there all the time.......

can anyone shed some light for me? thanks.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
Sure its not VVT rattle?
now that rings a bell mate as i remember reading this can happen. how expensive is the solenoid thingy that sorts it and what are the symptoms? i remember seeing that you can get a revised design solenoid or something to sort it??? reason i thought it may be lifters was a. because i wasnt very informed about this vvt thing, just remember reading something about it and b. because the noise goes not long after moving off - but the condition of the oil and lack of any deposits tells me the lifters would unlikely be gunked up.......

is there a way of diagnosing it properly for certain as i will need to tell the garage i bought it from to order a replacement part if it is this.

as for the injector theory, doubt it as they sound the same when cold as when warmed up - not noisy at all really....

i'd like to get to the bottom of this, its not causing any problems but is niggling and i'd like to have it rectified before the warranty is up.

Thanks.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
many thanks to gunner 93 i've found somewhere that sells these solenoids http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/NISSAN-S14-S15-Silvia-VTC-Solenoid-SR20-30609,
what is the likelyhood that it is in fact this that is causing the noise? after doing some more research it really does sound like its this because of the diesel noise first thing on startup, but have to have proof before the garage will pay for the part, otherwise they could be wasting money on a guess......

are these a trustworthy outfit/has anyone used them before with good feedback?

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
VVT rattle is very common and occurs on more SR20DETs than not. It sounds very much like this is your problem. Now, the solenoid MIGHT fix it, or it might not. Its the first thing to change, and the cheapest. If the sound returns, I'm afraid you'll have to replace the NVCS sprocket, which it not so cheap. Alternatively, you could just accept the sound like most people do. It won't do any harm unless its doing it all the time.

Perfectrun also sell the solenoids (and every other OEM part). I got one for 10800 Yen plus shipping (not sure what this was as I ordered it with a few other bits).

G

gunner93

I was living with my cold start rattling for almost 9 months until I changed the solenoid. It's only 40% of the price from my country's Nissan dealer. If there's another solenoid to be changed I 'll still order from RHDJapan again.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
ok wel now i know it wont do any harm ill leave it for now, it literally only doe it till i get down the road and stops so isnt causing any embarassment as yet:)

many thanks guys once again, its reassuring to know that the engines not in danger:)