What's new

Waste gate chatter

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know if you should be able to hear any waste gate chatter on an S15??

I am used to an S13 chatter when i change gear, however i thought an S15 had a recirc valve fitted which stopped this?? :confused:

My car has an induction kit, and is currently boosting at approx 1bar. With the extra boost pressure and the increased intake is this normal, or have i got a problem with the recirc?

Am i correct about the recirc being fitted, it's not the same as a S13 is it?

Cheers
Als

Reaction score
Country
When i fitted my APEXI cone filter i got chatter. Only other mods was a full turbo back SS system.

Then i did the pigeon mod but to be honest the car didnt drive as nice and the 'chatter' was a bit ott imo :(

So now ive reverted back to the standard recirc valve but modded it to block off the leak hole :)

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
also, it's called compressor stall/surge, not wastegate chatter! :)

Cheers, yeah i know its caused by a reverse surge and stalling of the turbo when you lift off between gear changes... :D

I just wanted to check it was normal behaviour/noise... Surely that means that the standard recirc cannot move the volume of air quick enough from the exhaust side to the intake side of the turbo??

Has anyone replaced it with an uprated recirc, and have they seen any improvement in turbo lag / spool up between gear changes?? (just wondering) :)

Reaction score
poeple are running HKS SSQV's in recirc'.... i was too, but i took it out for a bit of the pidgeon mod till the car is mapped with more boost.

you still get it a little with a pod filter installed! :)

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you see a better response doing this, or was it negligible?

poeple are running HKS SSQV's in recirc'.... i was too, but i took it out for a bit of the pidgeon mod till the car is mapped with more boost.

you still get it a little with a pod filter installed! :)

Reaction score
i couldn't tell..... putting it on the rollers may have shown something.

standard ones are known to leak over 1 bar though!

Reaction score
Country
i couldn't tell..... putting it on the rollers may have shown something.

standard ones are known to leak over 1 bar though!
They leak as there is a factory made hole inside the recirc valve. Its simple to fix by tapping out an M5 hole and filling with a grub screw or something similar + loctite :)