What's new

Front Wheel Bearings

Reaction score
My front left side wheel bearings need replacing as there is some play in the wheel and when i go over bumps, theres a metal scraping sound. Ive just been looking at the manual and i can't figure out which is the wheel bearing assembly from the diagram. Also, if I get a hub puller, is the job fairly easy to do?

J

JDM JUNKIE

The wheel bearing is shown connected to the back of the hub assembly in your pic. If you are replacing only the bearing you must remove the hub from the front knuckle, separate the brake dust cover and then use a bearing press to push out the old bearing and push in the new one. If you don't have a bearing press for the job it's not possible and it's also unsafe. I have done this job before on a S13. I can't tell how easy it will be for you without knowing your skill level. I hope you have power tools.

P.S. the job is harder if the wheel bearing is damaged or seized ect...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just reading threads on SXOC and it seems that that you can buy the whole hub assembly saving the hassle of removing and replacing bearings. It was for the S14 however but would the same apply to the S15? If so, what are the part numbers as I have a friend in Japan who can get them for me? Thanks in advance.

J

JDM JUNKIE

Umm... Yeah. They do sell them together but you asked about the bearings. If you buy the hubs it's going to cost more and you still have to separate the knuckle from your old hubs... and I don't know why you would buy them from Japan and send them overseas unless they are used, but you asked for part #s ... so they must be new.
I don't know the part #'s call a Nissan dealership they should be the same as a S14, but do your homework first!
What are you trying to do save money or make this job easier for you to do? What about down time? :confused: I'm trying to help you but I really can't follow your thinking on this one.

Reaction score
From what ive been told, the parts from nissan dealers in Japan are far cheaper than here so im really just trying to save money. Im not worried about being without my car for a week or two. So if its cheaper to buy bearings and get a garage to press out the old and press in the new ones then ill do that. If its cheaper to buy the whole hub assembly avoiding the cost of the garage then ill do that. I have a bit of experience with mechanics so I dont mind undertaking the job myself. I do still need the part numbers though and from personal experience, I wouldnt trust a nissan dealership with my push bike let alone give me the correct part numbers!!

Reaction score
dont trust nissan uk or ireland lol, useless is all ill say! The hubs wont work out cheap at all and the bearings arent that hard to do, any machine shop can press them in for you without any hassell. The nissan japan prices are more or less half what we pay over here in most cases.

Reaction score
is there a catalogue I can search for part numbers? My friend in Japan is a lady friend so I really need to make the order fool proof (no offence to the fairer sex).

Reaction score
pm nicely with exactly what youre looking for or become a contributing member and you can get access to the fast catalogue :)

Reaction score
ohhh so thats how you can view the catalogue!! Cool, ill pm Nicely and pay up!!

J

JDM JUNKIE

Ah OK... thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know the dealerships were useless and charged twice as much in your country. With that said if you can just buy the wheel bearings it's going to save you a lot of money. Also slammedmind has good advice about having a machine shop press the bearings on for you.

From what ive been told, the parts from nissan dealers in Japan are far cheaper than here so im really just trying to save money. Im not worried about being without my car for a week or two. So if its cheaper to buy bearings and get a garage to press out the old and press in the new ones then ill do that. If its cheaper to buy the whole hub assembly avoiding the cost of the garage then ill do that. I have a bit of experience with mechanics so I dont mind undertaking the job myself. I do still need the part numbers though and from personal experience, I wouldnt trust a nissan dealership with my push bike let alone give me the correct part numbers!!

Reaction score
The outer race of the beairng is the hub, you will need to replace the entire unit. I just did this on my S15, I was shocked to realize this. I bought two sets for the front as a spare because they are hard to come by down here.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The front bearings aren't sold separately from the hub assembly. They are shown as a complete unit in FAST. The same is true for the S14.

The rear bearings are sold separately.

Reaction score
So what do I order from the diagram below guys? I retrieved this from the FAST system using my VIN number. In previous threads, the following part number was posted.

40200-5L310
HUB ASSY-ROAD WHEEL FRONT RH

But I cant see anything like that on the diagram below. Or am I reading it wrong?

J

JDM JUNKIE

You want the part that is just to the left of the brake disk. The diagram you have does not give you the complete part #, a Nissan # will look like this: 40200-5L310 The diagram you have only lists 40202 that isn't corect. Here are what hubs look like...

and here are front spindles... don't order these

So what do I order from the diagram below guys? I retrieved this from the FAST system using my VIN number. In previous threads, the following part number was posted.

40200-5L310
HUB ASSY-ROAD WHEEL FRONT RH

But I cant see anything like that on the diagram below. Or am I reading it wrong?

Reaction score
Oh I see!! So the part number in the previous threads is correct then. Just out of curiosity, how would I order any of the parts in the diagram? What would the whole part number be?

And to complete this thread for those searching, what is the part number for the rear wheel bearings?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
In FAST, you need to highlight the part you want on the diagram, THEN CLICK THE RED BOOK ICON TO COMPLETE THE PART NUMBER SEARCH.

I have now added that to the instructions in the Contributors Area as I've lost count of the number of people who haven't worked that one out... :p

Reaction score
How did you guys tighten the bolts? The manual states that huge amounts of torque is required for the hub nuts (152 - 210 ft-lb).

Im getting both the front hub assemblies and rear bearings for £277 + delivery. Just need to ensure that I have the correct tools.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Hub nuts need removing with the wheels on and on the ground. This means you have to first remove the wheel, pop out the centre cap, remove the split pin, refit wheel and lower. Then you need one fook off long breaker to remove the hub nut. When tightening the hub nut again, you need a 300Nm torque wrench.

Regarding the rear bearing, take a look at my Z32 rear brake how-to guide to see how to remove them without removing the entire knuckle (as the workshop manual stupidly says to...)

Reaction score
Thanks dude. Do you know what size the hub nut is? A guy at work has a torque wrench and scaffold pole I could use. Just need to know the nut size.