What's new

Actuator

D

david

Hey lads whats the advantages of upgrading ur actuator on the standard bb turbo:confused:

Reaction score
standard actuators dont seem to hold boost that well, mine fluctuates at 1bar or so but a new hks unit wouldnt so youd get a constand 1bar if you get me? To be honest i wouldnt spend the money on one if youre going to be upgrading the turbo down the line.

G

GUEST_JDM

same here mate i wouldn't bother upgrading the actuator if your gonna do the turbo down the track, i used a split pulse dump pipe when i got my new turbo and saw a heaps better response in boost and hold of presure too!

D

david

Was thinkin off upgrading to a hks actuator as ill always be sticking with my standard turbo and while im fittin my new mani and elbo it will be easier fit all together.
Does the hks one come pre set or do i have too adjust it when i fit it or is ther even adjustment on it??

Reaction score
they are adjustable, they don't come pre-set. Be warned, they're alot more sensitive than you'd think. they're also a min of 1.0bar!

you can fit them easily whilst the turbo is fitted, everything is accessable! :)

and finally, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LOOSE THE E-CLIP. That's the clip that holds the actuator onto the wastegate itself!

D

david

How do u mean there a min 1 bar im on standard boost which is 0.6 or 0.7 bar can i still use?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It means that running on actuator only, the minimum boost is 1 bar (though I found it to be about 0.8 bar when I ran a HKS adjustable). The standard actuator has a minimum boost of around 0.5-0.6 bar. This means you really need to get the JDM ECU remapped if you want to run an adjustable.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
This is one bit of tech I still get confused about lol - call me slow...??!! :wack:

I thought standard turbo's tend to have internal wastegate actuators which means fitting aftermarket actuators is only possible if the turbo unit is aftermarket and offers an external wastegate fitting etc.

Am I talking out of my backside??

Confused, Midlands.

Reaction score
the turbo has an internal waste gate.....

the actuator is on the turbo, that controls the wategate. these are removeable, replaceable and upgradeable!!! :)

with my HKS actuator at the longest length before constantly havin' the wastegate open was a min' of 1.0bar boost.

being adjustable you can increase the boost higher than 2.0bar!!!!!

Reaction score
Mates,

Just slightly off topic, im currently running a manual boost controller (4 miniature bleed valves) The connection is from the throttle body vaccum which connects to the MBC,then it goes into wastegate actuator. The Y piece at the boost solenoid was removed so that 0.85 bar of boost could be achieved in first gear without ECU interference.

Is this setup safe and whats the max boost i can crank up without leaning out my engine? My current mods are HKS Silent Hi Power catback, Trust Spec M FMIC, Denso Irdium IK20 and rest of the car is stock standard...

Any feedback is highly appreciated...Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
the turbo has an internal waste gate.....

the actuator is on the turbo, that controls the wategate. these are removeable, replaceable and upgradeable!!! :)

with my HKS actuator at the longest length before constantly havin' the wastegate open was a min' of 1.0bar boost.

being adjustable you can increase the boost higher than 2.0bar!!!!!
Thanks Dazz - that's cleared it up once and for all :thumbs:

Reaction score
Mates,

Just slightly off topic, im currently running a manual boost controller (4 miniature bleed valves) The connection is from the throttle body vaccum which connects to the MBC,then it goes into wastegate actuator. The Y piece at the boost solenoid was removed so that 0.85 bar of boost could be achieved in first gear without ECU interference.

Is this setup safe and whats the max boost i can crank up without leaning out my engine? My current mods are HKS Silent Hi Power catback, Trust Spec M FMIC, Denso Irdium IK20 and rest of the car is stock standard...

Any feedback is highly appreciated...Thanks in advance...
Can anyone give their feedback regarding this matter?

:thumbs:

Reaction score
id get it checked on the rollers. Im running a power fc and im maxing my injectors at 0.8bar when driven hard. My next move is 740cc injectors to cover my ass.

Reaction score
id get it checked on the rollers. Im running a power fc and im maxing my injectors at 0.8bar when driven hard. My next move is 740cc injectors to cover my ass.
Mate,

Are you running this setup with the stock or uprated turbo?

Yeah good suggestion about the dyno :wave:...will do it by the weekend...

:thumbs:

G

gunner93

I have a Walbro 255 and stock injectors. Just a couple of 7000 RPM WOT my injector duty cycle on the FC Commander reads 95% :eek: May have to go the same way with bigger injectors.

Senthil,

Suggest you dyno with Millennium first since you did a base run there before. Then if you want to compare, go Under-5 next since both Arun and I did it there with 230 - ish whp @ 1 bar

Last edited: