What's new

tomei manifold!

D

david

Was talking to two lads up at prodrift monday running tomie manifold and both said they cracked on them and they even both had engine dampers!
I know drift cars get lot off abuse but i also taught tomei was one off the best! they were both 180sx s.:furious:

T

tripleJs15

I know if you dont properly attach the downpipe/exhaust to the trans, I noticed if you dont or you attach it to the car's body the manifold would move out of sync with the movement of the engine etc. The engine dampers keeps the engine from moving a lot but it still moves.

Hope I explained that right.

D

david

Was just wondering anyway i bought a japspeed mani just need to get around too fitting it but have heard there good and have engine support.(so we,ll see)
Its probably because the stress them drift cars are under too.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Expensive stainless manis are susceptible to cracking just as much as cheap ones. Its for this reason I run a cheap one. I could replace 5 or 6 of them for the price of a HKS! :p

Engine dampers mean nothing. As TripleJ has said, its more important to have the front pipe support bracket, as it stops excessive exhaust movement being transmitted. A flexi front pipe will also help a lot. Unfortunately, with all the slight differences in turbo elbow and front pipe sizes, the support bracket often lands up not aligning with its chassis mount point and frequently gets left off. Bad mistake.

Reaction score
Ive had no problems with my tomei one... but i do agree cheap ones are just as likely to crack as the more expensive

D

david

Well the downpipe i got has a flexy on it too.thanks for the info nicely.

T

tripleJs15

Ive had no problems with my tomei one... but i do agree cheap ones are just as likely to crack as the more expensive

How is your mounted ? What type of trans and engine mounts are you usinhg ? DP braced on body or the trans.

I'd like to see the differences in mounting and whether or not they cracked or not. Thanks.

SR2O

Reaction score
Don't bother with the Tomei Expreme, mine cracked after just one year. Got a custom steampipe manifold on the way.

Reaction score
Nismo engine mounts and Dp mounted on the trans with poly exhaust mount from driftworks (you can get them anywhere though) Stock S15 turbo so not to heavy

Reaction score
Yeah mine does not line up at all I am going to get a custom bracket made to bolt the downpipe to the bracket on the transmission so they all move in harmony ;).

S

sillbeers15

I had the experience of seeing hairline crack off no. 1 cylinder on my stock exhaust manifold on my previous S14.

I believe it to be the torque of the turbo while on boost that causes the crack as I was very careful driving over bumps.

I have seen another S14 with a squshed front pipe with a stainless steel exhaust manifold crack so bad that it barely hangs the turbo in place, now that is due to careless driving habits.

So when I selected exhaust manifold for my S15, i look for one that has a supporting bracket welded between the turbo mount and the inlet flange other than it being a unusual 4-2-1. It has been trouble free since installation for some 4 years.

Reaction score
mild steel, ive said it before and ill say it again bomb proof stuff, if i could get someone to make one up id buy the damn thing!