What's new

servicing info (oils and quantities, sparks etc.)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i was just wondering if anyone has come up with a preffered oil and quantity for the rear diff and gearbox, preffered spark plugs and also what engine oil and quantity would best suit a mildly tuned engine? (i'll hopefully soon have an fmic, full exhaust, intake, avcr and a couple of supporting mods that are all planned for the near future)

im not sure when the diff oil was last changed - and on my previous car i carried out frequent trans oil changes using a little more than the specified quantity as it made a slight difference to the smoothness of the box. i cant see the harm in replacing the fluids and filters now as at least then i know they are all done and can begin a set schedule from there on.

any help appreciated!:)

Reaction score
Country
Heres a list ive put together for myself going by different peoples reccomendations. A few options to choose from. Feel free to adjsut as you see fit and id be happy to hear what people think.

Engine

Engine oil = 5W40 / 10W40 / 10W50 (3.3 Litres without Oil Filter, 3.5 Litres with)
Silkolene Pro S 10w50
Mobil Synt S 5w40
Motul 300v Power 5w40
Silkolene Pro S 5w40
Redline High Performance Synthetic 5w-40
Motul 300v Chrono 10w40

Gearbox

Gearbox Oil (API - GL4) = (2 litres)
Redline Shockproof Lightweight
Motul 300
Silkolene Silktran Syn 5

Helical Diff Oil = (API – GL5) = (1.2-1.4 Litres)
Redline Shockproof Heavy
Motul PA-90
Silkolene Boa 90 LS

Brakes

DOT 4/5.1
Motul RBF 660
Silkolene pro race 2000
Motul dot 5.1 brake fluid long life

Filters

Z32 fuel filter (PN = 16400-Q0805 / 16400-N9600)
Oil Filter (PN = 15208-9F600)

Spark Plugs

NGK BKR6EIX (Stock Boost)
NGK BKR7EIX (At stock – 1.0 Bar of Boost)
NGK BKR8EIX (At 1.0+ Bar of Boost)
Denso Iridium IK22 (At stock – 1.0 Bar of Boost)
Denso Iridium IK24 (At 1.0+ Bar of Boost)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
thanks again jez, thats extremely helpful mate!:)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I personally wouldn't put Silkolene in my gearbox. From all the reports I've heard, its a pile of poo. Too fill the gearbox to 2 litres, it needs overfilling. To do this you have to fill from the top (by removing the gearlever). This reduces the notchiness of the box.

There is absolutely no improvement in flow fitting a Z32 fuel filter over the standard one.

Don't believe all the hype you read about engine oils. In everyday fast road driving, your engine will be just as happy with Halfrauds fully synthetic as it would with Silkolene, etc. Especially if you change it every 6k or, excessively, every 3k miles. All of the arguments for the fantastic abilities of the top name expensive fully synths only really effect you if you are on the track. If you every become an SXOC member, have a read of their oil analysis tests (conducted using member's oil samples in Ford's laboratories). It makes very interesting and enlightening reading.

Reaction score
Hi Mate,

These are the oils used currently in my S15 :

1. Engine Oil : Elf 10W-40 semi syn : changed every 5000km with Nissan Oil filter

The rest will be changed every 20000km except for no 8 and 9 which are changed at every 40000km

2. Gearbox Oil : Castrol LSX 90
3. Diff Oil : Castrol LSX 90
4. Brake Fluid : Total Dot 4
5. Clutch Fluid : Total Dot 4
6. Power Steering : Nissan ATF Oil
7. Coolant : 2 litres of Total Coolant topped up with battery water
8. Air Filter : Nissan Paper Filter (forgot the part no)
9. Petrol Filter : Nissan Petrol Filter (forgot the part no)

So far, no issues at all...some of my mates only swear by Motul which is bloody expensive (almost 5 times the price) but only makes <5% difference in daily driving...

Just use a reputable brand and change the fluids often according to the service interval, you wont go wrong mate...

:thumbs:

Nicely,

Is there a problem if i use GL5 rating for the gearbox? Only in the morning, from 1st to 2nd and to 3rd the shift feels notchy...how do i cure this problem?

Is it easy to remove the gearlever from the top to overfill? How do i do it mate?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I agree with Nicely, better to use a cheaper (not always in quality) oil but change regulary.

The list i provided is just some examples for people to decide for themselves, i personally will probably use the stuff my Mum can get from her work (£15 or so for 5ltres trade price!!) which is called 'Planet' fully synthetic 5W40, sounds cheapo but its just rebottled Comma oil and no doubt used by all the 'Performance' garages her company supplies. I will however make sure its changed every 6K miles or every year, which ever comes first.

Reaction score
Country
Just a quick question while on the subject...is a FULLY Synthetic a fully Ester based oil or does it not have to be, im not sure if its just the SEMI Synthetic oils that can vastly range in quality ? Is there anyway to tell by the grading of the oil if it is ?

D

david

Im running denso ik20 plugs is that ok?
So whats the best oil for a standard diff?
Is the gear oil the same oil as the diff?

sniffy

Reaction score
Country
can i ask a question bout the plugs what plugs would ya use if your running 1.2 bar but would be lowering the boost to say .7 bar when the weather turns bad. what plugs would ya use ?

Reaction score
ik20-22 will do the trick unless the car is extensively modified. Gear oil is totally different to the diff oil. Gear oil id recommend the lightweight shockproof i used it after nicely recommended it and its amazing stuff. As for the diff oil any gl4 oil will do 80w-90

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I tend to find that a lighter right foot works just as well as turning boost down in bad weather ... ;)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
so as far as oil goes im ok to stick with mobil1 superS semi 10w40 or gtx magnatec 10w40 that i used in my old car? i change the oil and filter every 3k anyway, not worth being cheap imo when it comes to oil.

oh and believe me i don't believe the hype surrounding oil, the scaremongers on the forums i've used that recommend a specific brand or weight have normally got some available for sale (coincidentally):rolleyes:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
oh and believe me i don't believe the hype surrounding oil, the scaremongers on the forums i've used that recommend a specific brand or weight have normally got some available for sale (coincidentally):rolleyes:
If you don't believe the hype, you also shouldn't believe the folk law about 3k mile oil changes. It may have been true for the oil technology of 10 years ago, but as the oil analysis result have conclusively proved, they are completely unnecessary with current fully synth oils. Unless you do track days, the oil will be good well beyond 6k mile changes.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Too fill the gearbox to 2 litres, it needs overfilling. To do this you have to fill from the top (by removing the gearlever). This reduces the notchiness of the box.
Nicley,

I changed my gearbox oil this week with Redline Shockproof Lightweight oil to the fill plug level.

Do you recommend that I put the extra oil into the gearbox?

Will 2 liters fill it right to the top or do I need to just add 200ml more oil?

Thanks.

P

Pazz

I had just over 2L acording to the guage on the side of the two cartons so just shoved it all in. I didnt have to fill it from the top as Nicely describes because mine never began leaking out of the fill hole. It could of been because I had the car on a tilt though.

Nicely said:
I personally wouldn't put Silkolene in my gearbox. From all the reports I've heard, its a pile of poo.
If you dont believe the hype about engine oil, why believe it about box oil? I only ask this because I have Silkolene Silktran GL4/GL5 Race oil in my box and have had no troubles since I changed it. I had a bit of a problem selecting third approaching junctions at speed, problem was cured by this change. The notichiness also went or at least some of it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction score
The rest will be changed every 20000km except for no 8 and 9 which are changed at every 40000km

2. Gearbox Oil : Castrol LSX 90
3. Diff Oil : Castrol LSX 90
You do gearbox and diff every 20K? From memory the manual states 60K for gearbox changes and 100k for diff changes. It's all good changing the fluids regularly but you may find you could easily double or triple your intervals on those two (even with occasional track use).

Y

YazS150

Where can I get a hold of the oil filters...other than from a nissan dealership...CHEERS