Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked
    loads of places mate. The s14 filter is identical. You can order a box from perfect run. I use the sard magnetic filters they last for 10k kms before they require changing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DeanS15 is offline My car is so clean you could eat off it.
    This is DeanS15's Country Flag (England)
    Liked
    sorry to ressurrect this guys but a local place to me stock millers oils only and swear by the quality, so i went for thier 5w40 fully synthetic. what are your opinions on this/anyone used it?
    info is here http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers...AUTO_INDEX.htm

Liked
    Dear Dean,

Its indeed sad that many ppl just follow the hype and put stuff in their car just because they think is good. Like the dude who puts only motul in his car somehow gets a placebo effect that his car is performing better than the bloke who puts in regular oil.

The SR is a little over a decade old now. And it was a reliable powerhouse then as it is now and was being coaxed to put out large amounts of power even back in the day when fully synthetic oils were beyond the reach of the working class man. To me whats more important is getting our viscosity right. Colder climate owners need a narrower working temperature band whereas tropic thunder heroes (nice movie waiting to go see) like me need a bigger working band as tarmac temperatures here can touch 40C. Semi or fully synthetic just warrants how often you need to change the oil. And yes, fully synthetics will do in excess of 5k kms before needing a change.

As for the plugs...call me old fashoined but like some of you may know by now, im quite the OEM-mer. So if a book says use platinum i use platinum. Havent really seen the need to upgrade to silver or iridium plugs and the hype about iridiums offering better sparks on higher boost runs is just unfounded. Im still using platinums. To me, whats more important is the plugs' thermal values. Plugs, like oils have an optimum working temperature range that is arbitarily assigned from 5-9. A cold plug has its value further up the scale and a warm plug further below. Running high boost increases the working cylinder head temperature so it pays to have a cold plug that helps to dissipate the temperature well and not melt/foul the electrode. Im using grade-8 NGK R7118 platinum plugs, gapped to 0.7mm and its just wonderful for the daily commute, M3 bashing and generally psychotic behaviour around roundabouts typically associated with the average silvia driver

Engine oil: Mobil 1 fully syn 0w-50 3.5 litres usually
    Gearbox + Diff oil: Castrol LSX 90-140 2.5 litres (g) 1.5 litres (d)

Liked
    thanks for the info mate. ill stick with the 5k/6 month changes!

so heres one to make you laugh (pretty basic guestion), which mark exactly is the fill level on the dip stick? is it the top of the hatched area or the second (upper) ridge on the stick......dont want to overfill!

thanks again people.

StarletRick Guest
    i use royal purple in the engine, box and the diff.

i wub it.

Liked
    Im using Comma Fully Synth 5W40 at 28 for 5 litres from my local auto shop after i dumped my oil at the weekend which was a week old due to a cracked sump plug thread. Dont see the need for super expensive oil if changing regulary.

Liked
    i was gonna go for the comma mate, theres a jayar components round near my work - by the way if thats what your using then why not get the planet 5w40, its only 18 quid and its the comma oil in thier own branded bottle! only reason i went for the millers is because it was only 4 quid more and has a slightly higher spec through the additives - thats it.

im still stuck as to the fill mark on the dipstick though, any ideas?

Liked
    If your engine is cold fill till the upper mark on the stick. Start her up and let her warm up properly then check again mate.

gunner93 Guest
    I had Mobil 1 Fully Syn 5W50 in my car (because it was 26% discounted at Carrefores). I wanted to take it up to 10,000km or 1 year. But after 7 months (5,000km), the oil was mat black most probably due to running rich (as you all know by now from the pics of my plugs in my other thread). So my thinking would be more towards using semi-syn and run up to 5000km or 6 months instead.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner93 View Post
    I had Mobil 1 Fully Syn 5W50 in my car (because it was 26% discounted at Carrefores). I wanted to take it up to 10,000km or 1 year. But after 7 months (5,000km), the oil was mat black most probably due to running rich (as you all know by now from the pics of my plugs in my other thread). So my thinking would be more towards using semi-syn and run up to 5000km or 6 months instead.
    Bro,

I have been using Elf 10W-40 semi synthetic all the while and change them every 5000km or even earlier...so far, no issues at all...