What's new

400ps, what parts do i need?

V

vrtx

My car is soooon here and im planing a little tune-up. The engine i stock (only fmic, radiator, fpr). I want 400whp, what turbo is best?. How thick headgasket? Do i have to change cams? (If yes, what kind?) How much boost can i run on stock internals? Any other things i should change? Thanks!

Reaction score
you'll make about 380 probably a little more with turbo, full exhaust, injectors, head gasket and a remap.

to make that last few bhp needed will see about another £1000 added to your price tag at least. cam's, valve springs and rockers are needed to be changed.

the bottom end has been said to make 400 and run it.

but obviously, the state of the engine comes into play at that point, how well it's been treated etc.

K

kazama

depends, what kinda of 400hp.

400hp with stock internals or reliable 400hp with forged internals.
Obviously an opened motor would be less reliable and the lifespan of the engine
would drop drastically if pushing 400hp.

400hp, you'd need.

HKS GTRS or bigger.
aftermarket exhaust manifold
Tomei poncams atleast (256)
rocker arm stopper
1.2 mm metal gasket
ARP headstuds
electronic boost controller
injectors : 740cc or bigger
255lp/h fuel pump, Bosch 040/044 or Walbro
Standalone ecu : Power FC, Haltech, MoTeC, AEM, etc

and a few other things I can't think of at the moment.

aftermarket valve springs and rockers not necessary needed unless you'd plan to run 256 and above cams.
How much boost you can run on stock internals varies on a lot of things.
There's so many factors involved, such as the tuning (ignition, fueling, timing, etc)
Boost itself is another factor, a 1.5bar from a GTRS and a 1.5bar from a GT3037 Pro S is very different.
Weather temperature = climate, would make a difference.
How long would you run that 1.5bar ? 1 minute ? 10 minutes continuous track/drift work ?

Heat can really kill an SR, good thing you already have an aftermarket radiator.
You should also think of a oversize sump, oil cooler, thermostat and a breather tank as well.

cheers.

Reaction score
HKS GTRS or bigger
Definately bigger else a GTRS would be screaming its guts out all the time...
Gt3037 Pro top mount kit from HKS if you want branded...
But wouldnt want that much power from a bigger tubby would look at getting most of the power from internals.. larger pistons or stroker... if its a daily driver then would build it to last... its something you can handle dying then having to rebuild anyway.. then big tubby and say a little prayer before you drive it hard!

2OOsxy

copy my engine and supporting mod list if you like... it might help! i;m happily running just over 400rwhp with a safety margin!

K

Krulle

And what about the gearbox?
Ive heard that the 6 speed gearbox "sux"

2OOsxy

200SXY's Ride Details

I'm still running the stock gearbox, but if i was going to be slamming out down the quarter on a regular basis then yes you will either need to replace with a stronger box such as 14 5 speed, or rebuild and race spec it - which costs a fortune!

2OOsxy

Can confirm that ain't the experience here - the linkage between 2nd and 3rd notoriously breaks.

They develop problems with first and reverse, plus I can guarantee a couple of times down the quarter and mine will need a tow home because of a broken six speed gear box and it will be a linkage failure! I am the odd one out over here that hasn't changed the box to an 14 5 speed (have seen some happily pushing well over 400 through them and racing/drifting with no issues, they killed the 6 speed straight away). ;)

Reaction score
Ye there is an issue with the circlip on one of the shafts, but there is a fix out there and once done the box is stronger then the 5 speed unit. Standard boxed dont last drifting or big power i do agree.

2OOsxy

yes but it's expensive as i put at the bottom of the first post about the gearbox... fully strengthening the 6 speed box to lose all the weak spots and get it race prepped costs about Aus $6k.... i'd rather chew a couple of 5 speeds for that as they can take a good hammering without too many issues.

T

tripleJs15

This is what I've done so far.

Tomei Reytec Standalone ECU (MAP Based)
Tomei 260 12mm Lift Standard HLA in/ex cams
Tomei 740cc inj
Tomei Rocker Arm Stops
Tomei Manifold
Tomei Turbo Outlet
Crower Valve Springs
Cometic 1.3mm HG
Garret GT2871r to Tomei B7652 Specs
CP 9.0:1 Pistons 86.5mm Bore
HKS SSQV BOV
ARP Head & Rod Bolts
Complete Rebuild all new gaskets seals etc.
Deck Head and Block and Bore/Hone Cylinders
Aeromotive FPR

V

vrtx

I also heard about the sixspeed box.
If my gearbox blows to #%¤#, who sells upgraded boxes?
And what box is preffered?

Thanks for all help :)

T

tripleJs15

I also heard about the sixspeed box.
If my gearbox blows to #%¤#, who sells upgraded boxes?
And what box is preffered?

Thanks for all help :)
I'd like to know this too, Nismo has one but it's about 3k+ not including shipping.

Reaction score
loads of uprated gearsets around but as far as full replacement boxes im not too sure?

T

tripleJs15

I can't seem to find a lot of gearsets in the US other than the OS Giken which is a few dollars shy of a complete Nismo Gearbox

Reaction score
Just helped with a rebuild on a S14 box... cost just under a grand in parts... an the thing should withstand anything now!
Will post the parts used 2moz...

T

tripleJs15

^^

Great thanks, also the rebuild was on a 5 speed, did it change the gearing ratio ?