What's new

S15 Idle off sometimes

B

Brad

Hi all,

In the last three weeks every 3rd or fourth time I start the car it misses for 30secs - 2 minutes. It only happens when I start the car, not at lights, when stopped, etc.
After pulling the coils out the plugs are OK... But when It misses I can fix it by popping the bonnet and pressing down on the second coil pack to the front of the engine with one finger!?!? Stops immediately when I do this.

Strange or what? The pack is fine and fires running 16psi - but takes this to get it going.
Anyone had any similar problems? Ideas?

Cheers!
Brad.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Change the coil pack to a different plug and see if it the hesitation moves with it. If it does, then the pack's on it way out. If it stays, check the connector.

S

S15R

i had starting issue with my jap spec once, it was over fueling and f***ed the plugs, dont know how that happen but the was sitting in the garage for a week
first, very unstable idling, then miss firing, so i bought 4 brand new plugs then it went well

B

Brad

Swapping the coils resolved the issue - one of them is stuffed.
I am guessing it overheated a fortnight ago when we had 5 38 degree celsius + days in a row! :(

Nissan wanted $280 AUD for a new one and splitfire coils give very, very marginal increases in torque...
Second hand one is on its way. $70 AUD - take that Nissan service department...

Brad.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I was lucky with coil packs. Some guy on SXOC got the top part of his block replaced and the garage that did it got hold of an S15 block from Japan. Of course, certain bits aren't interchangeable. The coilpacks are one (or four... :p ). As he's paid for them anyway, he sold them to Meddy and I for ?50 a pair. :D

We'll be starting a UK branch of Nissan Japan soon... :p