What's new

GAB suspension advice

d.

Reaction score
I have just imported a (jap spec) car which came fitted with GAB adjustable suspension riding on 17" rims - the GABs have red cylinders and springs.
I find it a bit hard/crashy for local (sydney) roads and would like to know what spring rates they may have come with for front and rear.

After a brief look at the units they appear to have the following markings on them:
front left: GKW2476AL HG19
front right: WINGS GKW2476AR HG19
rear left: HF09 KYB
rear right: WINGS GKA9475

I was hoping someone may be able to interpret these for me...

I am considering either going to softer springs in the current GABS or replacing the setup with TEIN SuperStreet adapted to Australian roads by Fulcrum suspension. Does anyone have experience with these or could recommend a setup for imperfect roads? Otherwise I may convert the car back to the standard setup?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I have been told the Fulcrum Tein superstreets aren't that good and you are better off with the Jap spec superstreets. Phil (Auss15) was told this by the mechanic at Powerplay imports in Drummoyne. I am planning to buy some jap superstreets in the next month or so. (I have to sell a few other toys first)

As for the spring rates of the GAB coil overs, Try Kings Springs. I think they are in Smithfield still. They will be able to advise you on what spring rates are good. They can even test your existing sprins and tell you what they are and then can make springs to your specs. You could also give Heasman steering on the Princess Hwy in Sydenham. They are very good. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

d.

Reaction score
Thanks meddler - the Fulcrum Teins came recommended from Heasman's as they 'provide a good compromise for road use' - however advice from someone with first-hand experience of these on an S15 would be preferred.

If I were to fit softer springs to my current GABS, would it create a mismatched setup?

I have also heard good things about the silkroads coilovers, however as they run F:8 & R:7 springs, I am still leaning towards the Fulcrum Teins as I am after a comfortable setup for road use.

Any further advice or recommendations?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I know the Jap spec superstreets come with 6kg/mm front springs and 4kg/mm on the rears. As for the Fulcrum ones, their website doesn't have too much information. The part numbers are different. I have heard that they have changed the valving and springs to softer ones, but you would have to ring them to check.

I have only heard about silkroads coilovers once. I don't know anything about them. Maybe someone else has some info on them. 8kg/mm and 7kg/mm sound pretty harsh. They are probably similar to what you have fitted already.

As for changing your existing springs, as long as you change the back and the front to match, you shouldn't have a problem. This would be your cheapest option. Ring Kings and see how much they would charge you and what they would recommend. As for the valving, you can just back it right off.

BTW, if you are thinking of getting rid of your GAB's, let me know. I am be interested in them instead of buying the Tein's for the right price. Are they fully adjustable? Do they have camber adjustment? Pics?

Last edited:

d.

Reaction score
i am leaning towards nismo s-tune suspension at the moment, so would you still be interested in a second hand set of GAB's? (or have your tein's already arrived?)

the GABs are fully adjustable and i think the fronts may be camber adjustable as well - though i would need to check.
they appear to be in good condition, however 2 of the locking rings will need replacing.

Reaction score
Country
Stiff spring only tells half of the harsh story. If you preload your springs, then even 2kg/mm is gonna be harsh. If your coilovers have base adjust, then use that to lower the car instead of preloading your spring then it wouldnt be that harsh. Even with 10kg/mm or 12kg/mm.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
i am leaning towards nismo s-tune suspension at the moment, so would you still be interested in a second hand set of GAB's? (or have your tein's already arrived?)

the GABs are fully adjustable and i think the fronts may be camber adjustable as well - though i would need to check.
they appear to be in good condition, however 2 of the locking rings will need replacing.
Got my TEIN's last week. Hopefully fitting them on Thursday.

Stiff spring only tells half of the harsh story. If you preload your springs, then even 2kg/mm is gonna be harsh. If your coilovers have base adjust, then use that to lower the car instead of preloading your spring then it wouldnt be that harsh. Even with 10kg/mm or 12kg/mm.
True, but you also need to take into account your damping rates too. Most coilovers come with helper springs so the ride height can be adjusted with making it harder (well my TEIN's do anyway)
Unfortunately the problem with base adjustment is that it is illegal. Fine if your car is track only, but the cops can give you a defect for base adjustment.