What's new

Release Bearing?

P

Pazz

Oh joy!

I think my release bearing is going. Only makes a noise when engaging a gear (by lifting clutch etc) after the car has been stood for while. And you can only really get it to make the noise twice before it goes away completely for the rest of the journey.

Dont think it could be anything else could it? I cant feel it at the pedal. Only other noise is a slight whurr'ing when in neutral. But you can hardly hear that and presumed this was normal?

Last edited:
Reaction score
May be the input shaft bearing. Mine has been whurring for a good few thousand miles now (only really audible at v.low speeds or in neutral). Got louder for a while and now hasn't changed in a long time. Make sure your running the GB Oil level tip top (or even over as lots of us do but thats up to you :))

You can tell which as it has the opposite effect of the release bearing, i.e. it goes away when you depress the clutch. The release bearing is only audible when you depress the clutch

Last edited:
P

Pazz

:rolleyes: The whurr'ing stops when I depress the clutch. I cant hear the whurr'ing at all at low speeds. Just when the cars stationary.

But the noise that it makes when I set off is more of a clunking/clicking noise for only about 2 seconds, if that. And as mentioned, its only when setting off getting the car moving.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The second could just be a function of other bits you've got... non-standard clutch etc etc

P

Pazz

Hmmm, well I remember when I changed the box oil I noticed that it looked like the box had been taken off before (new sealant around housing). So you could be right with that, thanks roland! :thumbs:

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but thought I might aswell post on here instead of starting a new one. I have the exact same problem, it only happens when the car has been standing for more than a few hours. The first time you bring the clutch up to the biting point it makes this horrible noise which is quite hard to describe, almost like the crunching of gears but not as harsh... It'll only do it once for the whole journey and doesn't stay for long. It is almost certainly a coincidence but it seems to only have started doing it since I replaced the turbo lines, could I have disturbed somthing?

Cheers guys!

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but thought I might aswell post on here instead of starting a new one. I have the exact same problem, it only happens when the car has been standing for more than a few hours. The first time you bring the clutch up to the biting point it makes this horrible noise which is quite hard to describe, almost like the crunching of gears but not as harsh... It'll only do it once for the whole journey and doesn't stay for long. It is almost certainly a coincidence but it seems to only have started doing it since I replaced the turbo lines, could I have disturbed somthing?

Cheers guys!
Search for VVT rattle on here and see if that is what you're experienceing. If it is, you don't need to worry.

E

Envious

I had this problem on my old S13 only slightly worse!

It turned out to be the Spigot Bearing or in my case lack of :wack: (hence why it was worse lol)

But I had Exactly the same symptoms as you are describing. Took me ages to find out what created the noise!

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Reaction score
Search for VVT rattle on here and see if that is what you're experienceing. If it is, you don't need to worry.
No, this happens when the clutch is moved up towards the biting point. It doesn't make the noise on start up. Thanks though :)

I had this problem on my old S13 only slightly worse!

It turned out to be the Spigot Bearing or in my case lack of :wack: (hence why it was worse lol)

But I had Exactly the same symptoms as you are describing. Took me ages to find out what created the noise!

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Cheers mate, i'll check it out :thumbs:

Reaction score
i have this exact problem too :D i get a little crunch noise when i first move away, and a whirring noise on idle until i press the clutch haha! this started after my accident i think.... but not sure :rolleyes:

But still can be almost embarrassing, especially when people are looking at the car in a car park and you go to pull away and it sounds like you cant drive or use a gear box haha

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
No, this happens when the clutch is moved up towards the biting point. It doesn't make the noise on start up. Thanks though :)
Maybe it's just me who has got the whole VVT thing wrong, but I thought that was the tell tale of VVT rattle.

Small rattle when clutch engages for the first time with a cold engine pulling away if the car has been left standing for a couple of hours.

I've had it since I got the car and no problems so far. I thought that was VVT-rattle :confused:

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me who has got the whole VVT thing wrong, but I thought that was the tell tale of VVT rattle.

Small rattle when clutch engages for the first time with a cold engine away if the car has been left standing for a couple of hours.

I've had it since I got the car and no problems so far. I thought that was VVT-rattle :confused:

Oh, I always assumed VVT Rattle was a noise you get when the engine is started. I apologise!

Maybe it's just the dreaded VVT Rattle its suffering from then :( lol

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Oh, I always assumed VVT Rattle was a noise you get when the engine is started. I apologise!

Maybe it's just the dreaded VVT Rattle its suffering from then :( lol
No need to apologise lol.
This is just what I thought was the sign of VVT rattle (light).
Someone might want to confirm this though as I'm not 100% sure.