What's new

sonofabitch intermittent knocking sound...

Reaction score
Okay, there seems to be a knocking sound coming from the front of my S15R. It's not from the engine, but sounds mechanical - ie it not something knocking against something. I thought at first it was coming from the suspension (as it only occurs at low speed over semi rough roads) - but the thing is - it only does it 5% of the time.

Also, the suspension doesn't knock on bigger hits, neither does the sound occur on bigger hits. You'd think if something was loose, or the fault was valving etc in the suspension; that the sound would be present or more pronounced.

I've checked all the suspension components, they are all tight from what I can see / feel. I also though maybe wheel bearings, but there is no play in both front wheels. Maybe the rear diff? But the clunking doesn't sound like it's coming from back there, and it doesn't make the sound on corners. Typically only straights when going slow. From what I can see, nothing is broken.

I can hear it and actually sometimes feel it through the pedals. It's not a loud or heavy clunk; I would liken it to perhaps a bearing seizing, and then being forced free again and making a clunk. Actually, it's probably more like a knocking sound.

Again, it only does it sometimes in similar circumstances which makes this a mystery to identify and diagnose. I'm sure it's somehow related to suspension movement but can't see how / why.

Any ideas?

G

gunner93

8 in 10 chances its the VTC solenoid valve which has been documented in a thread somewhere here not too long ago. Otherwise its the timing chain guides coming loose. However, I'd replace the solenoid valve first since its very common in post-S14 SR20s. Happened in mine.

Reaction score
Nah, it's definitely not engine related - it's driveline / suspension - but what exactly is the mystery. The car has only just done 60,000k's (NZ New) so I wouldn't expect wear & tear parts to start flogging out just yet.