What's new

GT2871R Clutch Recommendations

Reaction score
Hi peeps, I searched and not getting a solid answer. My car is a daily and I am doing some small upgrades on it and I have decided to upgrade the turbo from the S15 turbo to a GT2871R. It will have the usual upgrades like, cams, sump, injectors, power FC, Z32MAF, exhaust, FMIC and piping, BOV and whatnot. Can someone tell me what clutch would be recommended for a daily with this setup in mind. I would like to do the weekly spurts, weekend circuit and the occassional drag strip runs. I need something for uphill traffic and hopefully as close to stock as possible. I don't mind a stiffer pedal but not a chattering engagement like that of a non-sprung setup. What do you'll have in mind?

Reaction score
Well the turbo is the .64 so somewhere around 350 - 410HP if at all possible. Supporting mods,
740CC injectors, Z32 MAF, Greddy Intake Manifold, Megan Racing Exhaust mani, HKS internal wastegate, Greddy Profec B Spec II, Apexi Power FC L-Jetro, Stock S15 SR20DET with maybe some cams, Blitz FMIC and Greddy Piping, Greddy Outlet Pipe, HKS Downpipe, Kakimoto 3" Exhaust, Sard FPR, Taka GT Lines with restrictor, Greddy RAS. That's about it with one or two things missing.

J

JDM JUNKIE

I agree Exedy makes a nice kit :thumbs:... another option would be Ogura. How much are you looking to spend, and do you plan on replacing the flywheel at the same time???

Reaction score
Well if I need to get something I may as well get something good. I know the Exedy Hypersingle comes complete with flywheel and is expensive but will it hold for say 410HP?

J

JDM JUNKIE

TriniGT,
From what I know almost all JDM single clutch kits out there are rated up to 400... and there is a BIG price jump from single to dual disk. Are you sure you really want over 400? I would considering the extra load on the tranny as well.

Reaction score
Well I know the GT2871R .64 housing is only capable of up to 400HP. I want a clutch that can handle the power not slip at all when being thrashed. Was thinking about the Exedy stage II until a fella on fresh alloy said his was slipping with his GT2871R. I may have to bite the bullet and spend the extra cash for the hyper single. I also saw that JWT has a Z33 setup that another guy used for the pass 2 1/2 years with the identical setup as me and it stills hawls. The clutch disc is organic and I am seriously contemplating getting it but I am not sure if the setup will work on a 6 speed box. What do you'll think,
Cltuch setup,
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_part_detail.asp?PartID=454
Flywheel used as well is this,
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_part_detail.asp?PartID=430

Do you'll think it will work on the six speed box?

T

tripleJs15

I thought with the six speed comes the torque dampener that helps relieve stress on the trans, another thing helps with stress is what JDM JUNKIE said, you really don't want a clutch that handles a lot more than you're running because it puts unesscesary stress on the gearbox. I think the ORC409D or the Blitz Active Single are nice choices then you go up from there, both of those comes with flywheels, the Ogura is dampened like the stock S15