What's new

2 way diff

C

cloudandy

hi all

Has anyone used a 2 way diff?
What do you think of it and how does it feel and sounds like?

I'm currently using a nismo gt pro one and it's causing alot of weird noise, which sounds like more than the diff itself.

thanks
andy

J

JDM JUNKIE

I had a Kaaz 2way a little over two years ago in a S13... It's pretty loud I used it for a little over a year and it worked great! IMO it's a little much for a daily driver because it does "lock up" when turning at slow speeds. I would buy one again however... Also, keep in mind if you have mods to your rear end like subframe inserts it can get a little noisy. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you don't mind that clunky sound and wheel locking on slow speeds than their ok particularly if you want to do regular track work:)

The Nismo Pro is one hell of a good diff I'd stick with that if it was me. Did you have it set up properly when it was fitted

Last edited:
M

Matt_S

What oil are you running it in? Nismo need fully synthetic. ANythign else and they can both sound and lock differently to what they should (this goes for diff thats require fully mineral aswell )

J

JDM JUNKIE

Nicely, yeah you're right... I know first hand I had subframe inserts before so I was trying to give a heads up. Also it depends what you plan do to with the car. I used my old 2 way for track/drift use, and it was ok to drive on the streets but I wouldn't recommend it for a street car.

C

cloudandy

its stripped and fitted in 2 way, locks crazy.........
but will it wear out the other rear bushes and parts?
I just need to get use to the locking noise, found out theres more problem with the car.

When i hold down the clutch, its got a weird noise
plus cant go into 1st gear without a weird squzzking noise too the other gear change is fine.

does anyone know what the problem could be?

M

Matt_S

Mech diffs will (imho) wear the drive shafts quicker, as the 'slack' thats there in a helical/viscous isnt with the locker.
But then if youre gonna drift it (which Im assuming you are) then you have to expect extra wear here and there.

Reaction score
Country
Depends on manufacturer and wearing in.

Nismo are said to have the least cam angle on the diff compared to cusco/kaaz
It affects how aggressive the diff locks up

Then it depends on how you wear in ur 2way. If it doesnt have the proper wear-in method, it will clunk louder.

Reaction score
Slightly off topic (well loads :wack:) Do you know if an R33 GTS-T (nismo) diff will go into the S15?

M

Matt_S

Slightly off topic (well loads :wack:) Do you know if an R33 GTS-T (nismo) diff will go into the S15?
Not a Spec R no.

http://www.kaazusa.com/products/Kaaz_Product_List.htm

According to Kaaz, R32 GTR (Non V Spec judging by the dates) and R34 GTT (Helical RB25DET) and Early R34 GT (RB25DE Open) will fit.
Interesting. So it appears that GTR32 have the same number of splines and size of output shafts to the S15!!!

That might be a problem solver for some!

I must go tell everyone in the world....

BRB

:D:D:D

J

JDM JUNKIE

its stripped and fitted in 2 way, locks crazy.........
but will it wear out the other rear bushes and parts?
I just need to get use to the locking noise, found out theres more problem with the car.

When i hold down the clutch, its got a weird noise
plus cant go into 1st gear without a weird squzzking noise too the other gear change is fine.

does anyone know what the problem could be?
Hey it sounds like you have a bad throw out bearing. Does anyone else agree? You should start budgeting for a new clutch by the sounds of things. Hope you work things out.

PS. Worst case, it your clutch goes out and you need to get home... try starting the car in second and then drive home using second gear only.

Reaction score
Yeh its the release bearing (throw out bearing). Don't necessarily need a clutch but while you've got the box off unless its new you should think about it (well think about it before you actually take the box off :rotfl:)

C

cloudandy

i got it checked by the garage and they said its fine and its like that.
The advice was "best to spin the wheels to start, its like a drag clutch".
I'm still confused!!

K

kazama

hi all

Has anyone used a 2 way diff?
What do you think of it and how does it feel and sounds like?

I'm currently using a nismo gt pro one and it's causing alot of weird noise, which sounds like more than the diff itself.

thanks
andy

hey andy,

I have a Cusco MZ 2 way diff. Its tighter than the Cusco RS.
It clunks a lot, but after awhile you'll get used to it.
sometimes turning at slow speeds thru a traffic light intersection,
the car would jerk abit, and if its a girl in the passenger,
she'll think you can't drive manual. Haha. But I usually explain to them what it is,
and why its like that. The other day I drove my friend's S15 and it just
feels weird not having the tightness of the locking 2 way diff.

You can feel the 2 way diff working its best on mountain roads and
also during braking before whacking a corner. I wouldn't have an FR without a 2 way lsd.

For performance its +10 ... ****ing tight during corners, launching, etc
For comfort, not so. The jerkiness, the noise, people think your car is falling apart, people think you can't drive, etc. :D

M

Matt_S

LOL, my mate with an R32 had his car impounded cos the police said the rear supension was falling apart PMSL:D:D:D:D

(The coilovers and diff were like less than 6 mths old at the time IIRC :eek:

Reaction score
Hi Mates,

Just slightly off topic...what are the specification on the standard helical LSD on the S15 Spec R?

Are they 1.5 way and whats the lock rating?

:wave:

B

beastmaster

Nismo pro 2 way diff for Nissan S15

I have a Nismo Pro clutch type 2 way diff centre in my Nissan S15. Cost $2,000

The Nissan S15 running gear and engine is in a Lotus 7 weighing 600kg and the locking is too extreme.
I will swap for Manual gearbox helical unit

Located Brisbane, Australia