What's new

whining noise coming from the gear box.

B

baynz

last weekend my gear box developed a whining noise after a little spin, so as the car is still under warranty until may i took it to a garage they recommended and the guy in the garage took it around the block once and said it sounded like 1 of the bearings inside the gear box so they will have to take the gear box apart and inspect it all. the noise seems louder in 1st, 2nd gear and is quieter in 3rd and almost none existent in the rest of the gears, any ideas? and also do you think the warranty company will try and claim it being normal wear and tear? its only got 60k on the clock.

anyone else had this sort of problem?

Reaction score
In my experience the warranty company won't cover it. As you say its wear and tear. They normally only cover failures but you never know.

....You live next to Dan with the Golf by any chance? :) Someone thought I was visiting him and now I've seen your in Ponty I'm guessing it was you?

B

baynz

dan with the golf? need more info mate wheres he from?

i know there isnt any golf's on my street but thats not to say a mate of mine doesnt live by him and ive been seen visiting my mate?

in the warranty booklet it states that im covered for bearing, bushes, synchromesh hub, transfer box, gears, shafts etc basically the entire gear box apart from oil and leaks.

but if no one else has had this problem and they have the same or more milage than i do then this will help my case.

Reaction score
In Ponty but can't recall the address. He's put a TT engine in a MK1 so its in his garage most of the time