What's new

350z/z33 brembo conversion.

G

gunner93

Thanks for that Ray,

Seems like only R33 Gts model rear brake assy fits directly into S15 without any modifications to the bolt holes or cable length and joints?

M

Matt_S

Thanks for that Ray,

Seems like only R33 Gts model rear brake assy fits directly into S15 without any modifications to the bolt holes or cable length and joints?
S13, Z32, R32, R33. All fit. Use R33 cables. Use the backplates from the donor vehicle. Use the donor calipers bolts too if youre not too sure.

M

Matt_S

Hi Guys
Can anyone confirm that rear knuckle from R33 gts and s15 are the same material and fit?
Apparently r33 knuckle is made from steel..

I was hoping to use the full r33 rear assembly's that i have and maybe change the bearings and bushing on the knuckle. then custom mount z33 rear calipers.

With everything pre-assembled i can just swap everything out in a couple of hours.
The R33 has HICAS, so you will need to replce the HICAS ball joints for TOE arm bushes. S boies have Toe arms, not HICAS. Other than that, (assuming the S15 rear knuckles are the same as S14) yeh they are the same.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
@ raytsang

would you mind making a worklog of the process. I will definately be looking at doing this in the future, so it would make an excellent reference.

G

gunner93

Managed to refurb most of the assy from R33 GTs caliper but cant get the pistons out. :( Need a heavy duty clams for that.

Can I activate the ABS after retrofit this R33 rear brakes in my S15?

M

Matt_S

This has been covered at least 847869 times on SXOC :wack:
The S14 and S15 are exactly the same when it comes to this conversion. DOnt forget that :thumbs:

Gunner. ABS is not affected at all - only that the ABS may cut in earlier due to the bigger brakes locking up a wheel easier :wack:

Reaction score
to get the pistons out.... connect them to either hydraulic or air compressor, and push the pistons out. don't think you'll manage to pull them out. :)

just be careful to not literally fire them out. fix them, and fire the piston into a block of wood held close.

G

gunner93

Matt,

I've locked all wheels once during emergency braking even on stock brakes LOL.

Dazz,

Thks. I've also got the hand-brake shoes out now but cant seem to remove the backplate from the nuckle. BTW, are the bearings "maintenance-free"in that it doesnt need greasing? I dont see any greasing nipple on it.

Reaction score
i just beat my back plates off with a hammer, cause i didn't need the bearings. lol

you'll need some sort of bearing puller to get them off in a more "civilised" manor.

M

Matt_S

Undo the 4 bolts on the back of the hub, undo the BIG (30mm IIRC) nut on the top of the rear side. Then you have to split the hub. The way I do it is with a 'press piece' off a press :wack:
I found one that just about sits in the whole of the hub/bearing carrier. Then get busy with the hammer :wack:
Eventually (soak it with WD40) they come apart. And youre left with a floor full of parts or one hub on ya foot if youre really unlucky. Not thet Id know of course. im not silly enough to do that you understand. Ever. not in a million years.

:wack:

OUCH it hurts like fcuk

:wack:

K

kazama

colin,

you got your ECR33 brakes already ? been searching around for you,
but all without the handbrake cable, which is pointless really for us. haha

G

gunner93

colin,

you got your ECR33 brakes already ? been searching around for you,
but all without the handbrake cable, which is pointless really for us. haha
Hi Nick,

Yes I've picked it up from Joehan of Drifthouse. I'm taking it all apart now. Sourcing for the caliper repair kit, pads, shoes and not sure if I need to change the bearings. Plan to put a new coat of paint as well before putting it all back together. Thanks for the look out. Will keep updating. :thumbs:

G

gunner93

Guys,

For the R33 GTS rear brakes assy conversion, can I use back S15 knuckle and bearing hub (with 4 bolts)?

This means, I only fit the R33 back plate (c/w hand brake mechanism + hand brake cable), 297mm ventilated rotors & 2-pot calipers.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
yes, you can. it would be exactly the same procedure as nicely's z32 rear conversion write up.

so all your using from the r33 setup would be the backing plate, hand brake mech, e-brake cable and the calipers.

for my 350z rear brembo caliper conversion im only using the full assembly because i need to modify the rear knuckle to allow the caliper to mount properly. so doing all the work off the car before fitting.
and more......:thumbs:

G

gunner93

Thanks Ray,

I have got all the pieces out now refurb-ed.

1) Knuckle (Oily & Dirty)
2) Bearing Hub (Rusted)
3) Repainted Back Plate + Cleaned Hand Brake Assy + Cable.
4) Reskimmed & Repainted Rotors
5) Overhauled & Repainted Calipers with new repair kit + pads

I was figuring whether I need to re-use (1) & (2) which I dont, so no work done there...

Oh yes... I re-read Nicely's documentary on his Z32 rear brakes conversion. Printed out the whole document in fact. Helpful bible indeed!

G

gunner93

Update :

Got the HBrake Assy refurbed

Calipers refurbed as well... All in this Friday before the exhibition this Sunday. <wide smile>

Found this helpful article all on Nissan brake specs. Just select font color to white to read it.

http://nissans15.com/brakes.htm

Cheers.

Last edited:
S

StarletRick

sorry to dig up an old thread, but did this ever go anywhere?

im trying to figure out how to fit z33 rears without having too much downtime on the car.

how did you get on Ray?