What's new

Pearl paint problem - WK0 (3P)

subzero

Reaction score
hi there, this is the code of my car, i got the front bumper sprayed b4 but it looked crap. now going in tomorrow as i cracked it (again)

could some1 explain the way the pearl is applied. is it included in the mix or something. or do you layer it in some way??

code - Aspen White - WK0 (3P)

Last edited:
Reaction score
i think it's to do with how much pearl is appiled..... if you've seen the paint in the can, the top coat is virtually clear, not white! that's what gives the pearl effect! :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
First of all, don't pay for it until they get it right. Also make it clear to the spray painter that you want it to be spot on and the car will not leave / or will be returned until it is right. This may cost more initally, but if you are a perfectionist, this is the price you have to pay. Possibly inspect the painters previous work before you give them the go ahead to paint your car to make sure he is up to the job.

P

pablo

its a mission to get a spot on match, prob even less so now the paints have gone water based.

i went for a full respray in the end.

several colour chips need to be sprayed up with various coats of the pearl and then matched to the bodywork to find the best paint process.

base coat then pearl is applied

P

Paul D

There's a base coat to put on first before the top coat. I've had a few bits painted on mine off different people and they all match up together yet still not the same colour as the car. Im getting mine done again to get the proper match and going to use the base coat this time.

The painter i was talking too said basically the paint is all pearl colours mixed with a hint of red and it needs the proper base coat painting on first to get it to match right. If you can get the painter thats mixing the paint to look on the computer, it will tell you what colour etc

Reaction score
The pearl white is whats called a 3 pack, white base coat, pearl then clear coat. Its the combination of the base and pearl thats the trick.
If you look at the factory pearl, the front and back bars have a slightly different tone to the body, something to do with the plastic bars:)

subzero

Reaction score
oh sounds painfull . its going for paint this weekend so ill just keep my fingers crossed. the guy who sprayed it did an pearled s13 with the same code and he said it came out pefect.

Reaction score
Country
Have you tried to byo your own paint? As in go mix up your own paint using your filler cap. They can get the paint colour spot on as I've heard. Never tried. Even mine is not very perfect.

subzero

Reaction score
did that the 1st time,he brought a piece of the bumper (which broke off comming off the boat when imported) but it still was off. has a lot to do with the pearl .

ah sure we can only try, ill keep ye posted.

D

david

I had exact same problem when i got my aero front bumper came out wrong shade twice and then found out about a lad up north that was well used to painting pearl white(WKO).
Just take a look at my front bumper and u will see how well it turned out and im the most fussy person ever but it was well worth the 5 hour drive to get it done.The lad that done it said his first few cars were a nightmare but he got it rite in the end. he has done kits on a lot off s15s now and all spot on:thumbs:...

subzero

Reaction score
jesus a drive to the north for a front bumper :D (at this stage id nearly do it). i got it done again ,and i know im a bit of a perfectionist but its further off this time then the first time i got it done.

it seems the car had a full respray in japan by impul , to there own whitish colour and pearl, which was done to an unreal standard, its like a factory job. very very hard to spot.

D

david

Well my car was grade 4 with standard paint so thats why its more a yellowy white but mine just kept coming out too white.there is also differant shades off wko depending on the make off paint we used sikens and it was the special shade and it was a great match but a lot off it is down to how its applied as well.if its still not rite u may just get it blown into the wings:cry: