What's new

Help Crank Case Ventilator leaking oil

Reaction score
Well I was trying to fix what I thought was a back seal for my S15 engine. I dropped the gearbox after seeing oil deposits settling at the bottom of the gear box and eliminating that it was not the front oil seal I deicded to drop the box and change the back seal. When I was almost done removing the box I notice the line to the back of the motor that runs from the valve cover to the block has oil at the bottom of it. I still decided to remove the box to find that the inside of the bellhousing is totally dry, THAT bLOWS!!!

What could be causing the oil to be leaking there? I am thinking the stock Nissan squeeze clamps are just not holding but now I am wondering if there is more to the story. I don't drive my car hard shifting at 5500-6000rpm, is this a case of blow-by and should I do a compression and leak-down test on the engine? From my knowledge the car has been losing oil over the pass two months very slowly and I had to top it up in the pass two months with a half quart. The enigne modifications is stock nothing has been changed other than FMIC and intake and exhaust. Is it a case of the hose clamp needing changing and being more secure with a new clamp or do I have a problem with that much oil being returned to the block from the valve cover? What do you'll suggest I do with the car being down already?

Reaction score
I would look at replacing that rubber return hose and clamps, clean up the residual oil on the block and then check it after some spirited driving. It sounds like a split in the rubber hose(possibly around clamp) and with the pressure from the crankcase gases its weeping from said hose ;);)

Reaction score
Yeah that was what I was thinking but was wondering if that much oil passes through the crank case ventilator in that space of time, half a quart of oil in two months???