What's new

Passanger Lock problem

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Alrighty Folks.

Ok when the car got ported over i got Torque to install an Alarm system for me, i got the Cobra system (iirc, I'll double check..) Anyways been working a treat however last week (When it was hella cold) when i went to open the pass door it opened onto the latch and got stuck..

I pushed it closed and it would open correctly, Turned out everytime i locked the car all doors would lock fine but when i unlocked it the passanger door did it again.. time after time wouldnt open when you went for the handle, i sprayed some WD40 inside the door latch bit and it worked.

Now a week passed (Still with this problem) iv noticed that when i unlock the car (Including using the button on the driver door) the inside manual lock only opens half way if you know what i mean, thus the only way to let a passanger in is to reach over (inside) and open the lock before the door can be opened, obivously a bit of a hassle with a set of tight takata's..

any advice folk? Anyone else had this sorta lock/latch problem with the pass side door? Oh also using the key on the pass door still dosnt open the lock. it used to..

Cheers Lads
-Minty San

P

pablo

take off the door card, and clean and lubricate everything....just a suggestion

P

Paddy

what about the switch on the drivers door that unlocks the passenger door... is that working (the on drivers door in front of the elec window switches)???

What i found is that there may not have been central locking on the 15 originally. to get central locking a servo is installed to the drivers door. if pushed far enough, it trips a sensor or something and the passenger door locks/unlocks. I think it uses the switch circuit? This may need to be reset, because if it doesnt push far enough, it wont lock etc.

Try that switch first tho before stripping doors :thumbs: it might tell you which door to strip!:wack:

Last edited:

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
yeh the switch on the drivers door locks the pass door no problem, but when u press the button again it only half unlocks the pass door .. same as what the key and the fob does :S

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Sounds a bit like a weak central locking actuator to me. I'd go the clean and lub route before changing it though :)

subzero

Reaction score
just an add-on question but is autolock a std feature on s15's?? you know when you turn the ignition the doors lock and when you turn the car off the locks open automatically???

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Sounds a bit like a weak central locking actuator to me. I'd go the clean and lub route before changing it though :)
Cool i'll give that a bash and see what happens, if i need a new actuator can the one from the s14 be used?

just an add-on question but is autolock a std feature on s15's?? you know when you turn the ignition the doors lock and when you turn the car off the locks open automatically???
hmm mine dosnt so im not sure matey

Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
I actually just had/"fixed" the same issue - but it started on the driver's side (so I had to use the key to get in), then migrated to the passenger. I locked it using the driver's door lock when I got out of the car a couple of times, and hey presto it magically started working again. o_O

P

Paddy

S15s are magical cars. they fix themselves, i just wish mine bought its own petrol :rolleyes:

Pop open the passenger door and make sure the little metal arms aren't unusually bent etc. because the door is half locking, there might not be enough reach in the arms to fully operate the locks. there could also be dirt etc there.

Remember:- "with enough lube you can do anything!" :D

Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
oh.. so it just fixed its self??? how long was it doing that for? as mines been at it for around 2 weeks now
A couple of months actually .. but a couple of months where I never physically locked the car using the inside door locks, so it may have been fixed much more quickly.

I could also mention that the bonnet catch wasn't working for a couple of days, and leaving the car to sunbathe for a couple of hours seemed to fix that heh. :cool::rolleyes:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I actually just had/"fixed" the same issue - but it started on the driver's side (so I had to use the key to get in), then migrated to the passenger. I locked it using the driver's door lock when I got out of the car a couple of times, and hey presto it magically started working again. o_O
:nod: That sounds like the locking actuator may have been a tad dirty. Using the key to manually open the door would force external movement on the actuator. This could well have been sufficient to free-up the actuator for it to work fully again :)

Mint, the PN for the S15 is different to the S14, so I couldn't guarantee its the same.

Part Number:80553-AA100-
Description:ACTUATOR-AUTO DOOR LOCK,FRONT LH
Prod.M/Y:9901-

subzero

Reaction score
exact same thing happened me but magically fixed itself too . good aul s15's lookin after themselves. :)