What's new

Problem selecting third

P

Pazz

Tonight while going to a local meet I had a bit of a problem selecting third. Both upselecting while giving some welly and downselecting approaching roundabouts. Seems to only occur when driving at high speeds, as in approaching a roundabout off a motorway etc. The gear selects fine when stationary or even at low speeds.

My first hunch is that it could be a gearbox oil issue??? However I've never really experienced any serious gearbox issues in the past. I've had an old t-series rover box recon'd but that had the obvious clunking noises which this doesnt. Any help wud be appreciated!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I have a bit of trouble selecting 3rd when the car/gearbox is cold, is sometimes crunches a little on entry.

Maybe try changing the gearbox oil 1st of all, but i cant see why that would be specific to 3rd....

P

Pazz

Thanks for reply Topper.

It's really intermittent. On the drive home from work today it didnt do it once. Clutch doesnt feel light or anything either.

Well it seems to only do it at high speeds which could indicate that GB oil is too thin, they might use sum different SAE over there for different climate etc. So first gonna change oil this weekend, just have to check with a m8 who has handy access to a 4-post lift which should make things easier :)

K

kazama

the 6spd is quite weak, so we have to be extra gentle with it. :D

especially 3rd/4th.

Reaction score
I have a bit of trouble selecting 3rd when the car/gearbox is cold, is sometimes crunches a little on entry.

3rd gear also crunches on mine sometimes, I thought it was a jap car problem :Dcause the girlfriends Evo6 does the same thing in 3rd,weird eh.

P

Pazz

Well to update on this....

I changed the box oil today. From the appearance of what I removed it didnt look like it had been changed in a while. Added just over 2L of Silkolene Silktran GL4/GL5 75-90W. Took it for a run and seemed a tad smoother.

Suppose only time will tell.