What's new

rattle noise from the rocker cover

D

D BOY

when i start the car a metal rattly noise comes from the rockercover area and also happens when i turn the car off, looked on the sxoc and from what i can work out i think its the chain tensioner giving up.

anyone had the same sort of noise??

P

Pazz

Does it go away when you put it into gear and lift clutch? In other words does it stop when you move off?

Reaction score
Its a common problem with s14/15's and the biggest culprit are the oil levels. Especially after upgrading to an oil cooler or larger capacity sump (in my case its the former).

I had this problem when i first took possession of me julie :D, But after flushing the entire oil system and topping off with proper oil ( recommend fully synthetic) the problem went away slowly. Its the hydraulic lifters. Its such a shame nissan mated such a crappy cylinder head assembly to a bombproof bottom.

D

D BOY

well its being picked up on a low loader and taken to horsham developments tomorrow so we should find out what the problem is by next week:(

D

D BOY

jez rang me today and says its the turbo making the noise, its the blades on the casing:(:(:(:( looks like its time to get a bigger and better one:D

G

gunner93

I've seen many T25 & T28 on drift cars having this problem. Any idea why it happens? Glad you found out the cause. Thanks.

D

D BOY

no idea yet, he was taking it out the car today so im sure he will know soon.

ive now ended up getting a bigger turbo, injectors, fuel pump, afm, and a remap. also having the clutch and the cir clip on the gear box done at the same time:)

Reaction score
you've got some money to throw about then.... lol

good idea getting it all done in one go though! :D

K

kazama

I've seen many T25 & T28 on drift cars having this problem. Any idea why it happens?

I guess for T25s, its due to old age. And for T28s, I think it should be overboosting.
I don't see why would someone boost higher >1.1bar on the stock T28 as it will be out of the turbine's efficiency range.
Thus making it hotter because the turbo wasn't built for that much rotation from the higher boost.

D BOY, what turbo are you going to upgrade to ? :D

D

D BOY

its a gt2871 i believe

went and dropped some parts off today and got a quick look at the turbo. looks like something has hit one of the fins as there is a littel bit missing and all the fins are bent:(, could of been anything really

wouldnt say i have loads of money to through at it lol but i would rather have it done while its there.

has anyone got any pics of the gear box when they do the 4th gear clip???? how much work is involved???

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
i've been searching for pics/guides about the 3/4th gear circlip too, but it appears no-ones done the work themselves yet.

This is the most useful thread i could find about it on here

http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?t=1719&highlight=circlip

keep us informed if you go ahead with the work, and good luck!! :)

D

D BOY

well jez has spoke to one bloke who does gearbox's but cant do the machineing so hes gonna try somewhere else, but it doesnt look like to many people have done it