What's new

Oil Filter + Relocation?

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Hey Guys, Mint again with one of those questions.. ^_^!

Right as some of you know i have an Oil Pressure gauge which isnt wired up, Now iv just bought a G Reddy thing off a member on here :wave:so that i can plug in the gauge and get it wired up.

Now number 1 i have absolutly no idea where the OEM oil filter is located in the bay i do know its on the block tho, and tbh i dont really have much of an idea what it actually looks like.

Now iv just read that i need to get a new filter, so what should i go for??

OEM Nissan one? TRUST? etc.. whats the differance tbh? Also iv been told its a bit of a pain to do lol, any advice? Iv read on here best to tackle it from underneath??

Whilst im doing it should i go to the hassle of relocating it? How much money and work is involved in doing this and is the only benefit that its easier to locate/access for future changing etc? Iv never had to change one before so sorry for my noobish question folkies!

Ta once more!! :notworthy:

S

sillbeers15

Mint,
Now number 1 i have absolutly no idea where the OEM oil filter is located in the bay i do know its on the block tho, and tbh i dont really have much of an idea what it actually looks like.

Now iv just read that i need to get a new filter, so what should i go for??

OEM Nissan one? TRUST? etc.. whats the differance tbh? Also iv been told its a bit of a pain to do lol, any advice? Iv read on here best to tackle it from underneath??

Whilst im doing it should i go to the hassle of relocating it? How much money and work is involved in doing this and is the only benefit that its easier to locate/access for future changing etc? Iv never had to change one before so sorry for my noobish question folkies!
The stock oil filter location if off the block below the intake manifold.

If you install an oil cooler, it makes sense to relocate your oil filter to an easy access point for servicing.

I'm using TRUST oil filters...they cost x10 of stock nissan oil filters. Suppose to be less restrictive for better oil pressure and flow.

One note: Your oil filter size will likely change after you install an oil cooler kit.

After using the HKS Type R oil cooler kit...my oil filter is the common size as the Toyota MR2......don ask me why, ask HKS!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If you're fitting the S14/15 GReddy relocation kit, you can fit the standard filters. To be honest, on a stage 1/2 S15, its more than up to the job. I run with the standard JDM Pitworks filters (I got a load via Perfectrun with an order). They are a difference manufacturer to the Nissan GB ones. All consumable service items are manufactured local to the selling market.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Under the inlet! oohh.. it looked pretty tight in there last time i looked... hmm ace lol.

So i mean my 15 aint hgih spec at the moment, engine wise i only have a BOV and a FIlter and an Eggsauce, i will be getting it spec'd up when i can but for the time being do you recon i should just buy a replacment filter and not bother relocating it etc?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Lol. The first time you change the filter in its current location, you'll be wanting the relocation kit fitting!! :p

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
hehe yeah from what iv read i think you'd be right ^_^ Maybe id be best to do it correct whilst im at it then.. Is it expensive for the relocation kit and where would be best to get it from? as in is it like a universal thing or a s15 thing only..?

Also check me out with my minty fresh green name y0! haha thats awsum!

G

gunner93

Lol. The first time you change the filter in its current location, you'll be wanting the relocation kit fitting!! :p
Tell me about it... I am to change oil and oil filter again soon. This time, with an old long sleeve shirt. :annoyed:

M

Matt_S

Its actually easier to change the ouil on an RBd S body than one with an SR :wack:

I fookin hate the job. If I do get another S body once this ones gone (I never got round to fitting the one I have just sold :wack: ) then Im gonna make sure I fit a reloc kit with the first oil change! :thumbs:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Is it that difficult? I havent changed my own yet (although i plan to soon), but i have taken one off of an S14, it was on a ramp so i was standing under the car, but it was fairly easy to get to and get off. I got a fair bit of oil on my arm, but thats it.

It is just difficult when lying on the ground?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Lol. Its a piece of piss when its on a ramp and you're underneath, cos its on the bottom half of the engine. Try doing it from the top...especially when its welded on.

Reaction score
I love having my Trust sump + Tust oil cooler and relocation kit.

I can dump the oil from my car and replace the filter without jacking the car up or popping the bonnet :D

Just need to pop the bonnet to fill the engine back up with oil.

Reaction score
yes both would fit mate but i wouldnt advise buying one if there is no thermostat on the cooler. The first one seems perfect for an everyday and occasional track car

M

Matt_S

I wouldnt reccomend those hoses or fittings. Theyre not the Earls fittings that they look like and the quality is not what Id want either.
The braide is thin, and it doenst take much to fray it. If the frayed braids pierce the hose, bye bye oil. bye bye SR. :wack:

G

gunner93

Mint,

I had to dive in with a cap opener and a wrench - with cable ties in the way, the arm will get lots of scarring and therefore its better to protect the arm with a long sleeve.

I'm doing it tomorrow since its a public holiday. I plan to loosen the filter to hand tight when the motor is cold, then idle it till it gets to temperature and then release the underpan nut.

Reaction score
Country
Loosen the filter and idle? heh I wouldnt take the chance.

You'll know straightaway what kinda mechanic he is when you undo your oil filter. If its tight as fook, then you'll probably want to find another mechanic.

A tip is to use those rubber gloves your wife use to washing dishes. They work like a treat.

G

gunner93

Ichi,

Rubber glove is a good idea... :nod: Its hand tight + 10% extra turn enough to hold light oil pressure. Anyway I know how tight it is because I DIY oil & filter changes to my cars as well as my sis and dad's. ;) You can see some on my multiply web site below. Thinking about it I should charge them LOL :wack:

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Will this filter relocation kit fit an S15 ?...

http://82.110.105.84/apexperformanc...28&PHPSESSID=f71fad3b7748e62c9c7ef6103f26d6f4

or would i be better off getting this one ...

http://82.110.105.84/apexperformanc...57&PHPSESSID=f71fad3b7748e62c9c7ef6103f26d6f4

I would assume both fit but would like to make sure ?

Cheers
i would get the lower one.
I have one similar to the top one.
My oil cooler is from autobahn88.
however I changed all the fittings and all the hose.
The hose wasn't real steel braided. Just regular hose with a steel sock over. And as I had to cut the hose in a couple of places to fit my thermostat i had to get new fittings to as the new earls type fittings didn't fit the odd diameter hose.

But autobahn88 now has a "deluxe" kit which looks very similar to the lower one you've linked. Very good value for money in my opinion.

You can buy an inline thermostat if you want.
i got my from Driftworks.

here is a drawing I made of my setup which has worked very well for me last year.

The thermostat is pretty bulky (in-line type) but I didn't have a space problem as I have my battery in the boot.

Here is the cooler test fitted.
I'm going to change the hoses and the fittings here for new ones but haven't had the time yet.

Here is the new filter location.