What's new

Air vent filter

S

Silvio s15

Hi All,

does any one know how to and where is the filter element for the air vents?

cause every time i turn the fan on without the ac there is unpleasant smell from the vents??

thanks All in advance :thumbs:

Reaction score
Website
www.coordsport.com
Try an air con cleaner,as we get this on cars at work.

costs about ?30 a tin, its like a smoke bomb you have you engine running with air con on,
throw it in your car and shut the doors and windows.takes abot 10 minutes to clear it.

the smell is normally your air con thats collected bacteria,you dont smell it when your air cons on.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
kimi said:
Try an air con cleaner,as we get this on cars at work.

costs about ?30 a tin, its like a smoke bomb you have you engine running with air con on,
throw it in your car and shut the doors and windows.takes abot 10 minutes to clear it.

the smell is normally your air con thats collected bacteria,you dont smell it when your air cons on.
Thanks.
might give that a try. Just have to find a place which sells air-cleaner bombs.

Would still like to change the filter anyway. So I know that it has been done.
To a quick look in the service manual and saw something about the filter being located behind the glovebox.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Linky no worky for me :(

Kimi - why do you need to shut the doors and windows?? If they were open would it not let the smell/bacteria escape?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
tried this a couple of days ago.
The disassembly was pretty straight forward. untill the removing filter part came.

It was very tricky to get it out with the little bar in the way.
I broke the plastic edges on my filter (which had probobly never been washed or replaced ever).

i just had a look in the service manual where instructions for air vent filter replacement is located.

When i had a look on the disasembly instructions this is what I found.

4. Remove the instrument panel reinforcement.
5. Cut the instrument lower panel along the guidelines.
WTF!!!
Is it me having English as a second language or is actually Nissan saying that I have to cut in the interior (non-visible) of the car to replace a filter??

you can have a look for yourselfs.
Nissan service manual
Section HA
page 89

I don't see any problems with cutting the plastic bit as it doesn't support anything, but daaamn. Why is the plastic bar there in the first place? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Website
www.coordsport.com
Topper said:
Linky no worky for me :(

Kimi - why do you need to shut the doors and windows?? If they were open would it not let the smell/bacteria escape?
well i dont really know its just what the guys do at work :D

i'd take a guess that its to keep the bacteria killing stuff inside the car to do its job :rolleyes:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Yakozan said:
tried this a couple of days ago.
The disassembly was pretty straight forward. untill the removing filter part came.

It was very tricky to get it out with the little bar in the way.
I broke the plastic edges on my filter (which had probobly never been washed or replaced ever).

i just had a look in the service manual where instructions for air vent filter replacement is located.

When i had a look on the disasembly instructions this is what I found.

4. Remove the instrument panel reinforcement.
5. Cut the instrument lower panel along the guidelines.
WTF!!!
Is it me having English as a second language or is actually Nissan saying that I have to cut in the interior (non-visible) of the car to replace a filter??

you can have a look for yourselfs.
Nissan service manual
Section HA
page 89

I don't see any problems with cutting the plastic bit as it doesn't support anything, but daaamn. Why is the plastic bar there in the first place? :rolleyes:
Could someone confirm that I've got the cut the plastic-bar part right. I've now ordered a new filter from japan (4800JPY from perfectrun) and want to know if I've got things right :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
From 200sx.org

The 'plastic beam' is meant to be cut away as per the Nissan service manual. It has 'cut lines' at each end & apparently was only req'd for initial dash manufacture. The steel panel does the structural supporting.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
From 200sx.org

The 'plastic beam' is meant to be cut away as per the Nissan service manual. It has 'cut lines' at each end & apparently was only req'd for initial dash manufacture. The steel panel does the structural supporting.
OK. thanks. Then I know what to do after the filter arrives :cry:

S

silvias15

It can be done without cutting that plastic panel. Just takes a bit more time and care I suppose.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If its not required, nor visible, I think I'll just cut it when my filter arrives. Makes cleaning it in future much simpler... :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
If its not required, nor visible, I think I'll just cut it when my filter arrives. Makes cleaning it in future much simpler... :)
Same here. I don't want to risk ruining my brand new filter and wait for a new one.
Already broke the existing filter when I was taking it out for a wash :cry:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
OK. So now the filter is here :)
Really fast work by perfect-run. 6 days from payment to having the package here today :thumbs:
Just to make things clear. The filter is supposed to be white :)
i first thought that the filter was supposed to be blue... And after the wash, I though it was supposed to be grey :eek:

Part number seems to be AY680-NS012