What's new

Brake setup for your S15

K

kazama

I know right up front in this thread there were comments about why would you bother with 6 pot fronts.... but i can highly recommend the setup I have. GReddy 6 pot fronts with 355mm slotted rotors and GReddy 4 pot rears with 330mm slotted rotors - and of course upgraded cylinder, lines and a skyline handbrake.

The brakes are sexy as hell, work incredibly well and have saved my ass on a couple of occassions with idiots on the road. It's well balanced, brilliant pedal feel, and incredibly effective!

of course the fronts will only just fit inside my 19's so a smaller rim would be an issue!

Hey mate,

first things first, Nice ride man.. Impressive spec list. ;)

was wondering, are those rotors fitted the wrong way or according to the instruction manual ?
cause normally the slots should be facing backwards.
Also, 355mm rotors can and will fit behind 17" rims such as TE37s and LMGT4s.
So I don't see why they cant be fitted under 18s.
In fact, a friend of mine fitted his water cooled 372mm AP Racing brakes under 18" LMGT4s.

Nicely & TripleJs15. Nice calipers man. Worth the efford, IMHO.

Would there be any side effects from shaving off the Nissan word though ?
I've read somewhere that it would weaken the caliper strength.

Last edited:
T

tripleJs15

^^^^^

Thanks..
I doubt it will weaken the caliper, it's only a few millimeters high/raised.

2OOsxy

Hey mate,

first things first, Nice ride man.. Impressive spec list. ;)

was wondering, are those rotors fitted the wrong way or according to the instruction manual ?
cause normally the slots should be facing backwards.
Also, 355mm rotors can and will fit behind 17" rims such as TE37s and LMGT4s.
So I don't see why they cant be fitted under 18s.
In fact, a friend of mine fitted his water cooled 372mm AP Racing brakes under 18" LMGT4s.
Thanks and by the way I'm not a man :wave:

Yeah those rotors are fitted the correct and normal direction for slots - centrifugal force will help you figure out why they are mounted that way. :nod:

The issue isn't only the rotor size - it's the caliper that sits with it. There is a bee's dick in distance between the caliper and rotor combo I have with the 19's. If you've seen the size of the GREX 6 pots that are matched with those particular rotors in my car you will get my drift.

The original point was, and still is, that someone said don't bother with 6 pots on the front.... and I am saying as I said before that they can work very well on the front.

But you need match the setup to what fits inside your rim. If you have a bigger diameter rim, or a rim with a "thinner" wall then you will fit a bigger brake in and still retain adequate cooling to it. :D

S

sillbeers15

It is all a matter of clearance between caliper and rim to get bigger calipers to fit under the rims. So rim design matters allot.

As for size, it all depends on priority. Some prefer killer looks while others prefer performance and weight optimisation.

I belong to the second lot. I believe in keeping minimum upsprang weight as it contributes directly to the handling dynamics of my ride. That is why I love TE37s.

Reaction score
Wow, you guys and your big brakes! I'm running the stock hardware with Mintex 1166 pads up front and EBC YellowR's in the rear. I previously had Mintex 1155's in the front and 1144's in the rear (the current set up being better). I've been on various tracks and brake hard into corners - the Mintex pads are great and have never faded or caused the dreaded "shakey steering wheel" as the stock pads do.

I've recently bought EBC YellowR's for all 4 corners and will test these on the track at the end of the month.

Nicely - are your EBC Yellows the "R" version? The old spec Yellows were apparently terrible when cold (and not rated for street use) whereas the "R" version is street approved and good from cold.

Personally, I think the Mintex and stock hardware combination pull the car up fine so I've had no need to upgrade. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing but I'd advise anyone to upgrade to decent pads first before shelling out the coin for additional hardware.

ps - I notice many of you are using the Ferrodo pads - these are inferior to the Mintex pads according to the feedback of those who have tried both.