What's new

Front Brake Discs - Help!!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok - I've done a search on Front Discs but the only related thread seemed to go on about upgrading to bigger discs and calipers etc.

What I'm looking for are direct replacements for my standard S15 front discs but at a reasonable cost.

I don't mind aftermarket stuff but nothing fancy like grooves and holes hehe which could bump up the price etc.

Can anyone recommend anywhere (except Nissan of course) where they tend to have direct replacement discs in stock so I also don't have to order from Japan and wait more than 3 weeks or over??

Cheers :thumbs:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Seem to remember Nicely posting something about Porterfield discs but can't find that thread - was it actually on SXOC? Are these easy to order but are they from States which means a bit of a wait?

Just checked out my price range and something like Endless Basic or Project Mu SCR Pure Plus have come up on the radar - are these discs good for stock replacements?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Why not upgrade? Ok the cost goes up, but they provide better braking, and will look good behind your new wheels :D

P

pablo

hey you cheeky gits!!!! i havnt even driven my car in 2 months!!!!! (still costing me a bomb)

Reaction score
I can get these disks through work for €17 a pop thats cost and if anyone needs a set i can get them.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers slammedmind - already got some replacements on the way tho!!

Pablo - only jesting buddy... major respect to people like yourself building these wonderful machines!!!! :thumbs:

H

hk^s15

what did u end up choosing?

i have the project mu SCR pure plus6 matched with b-spec mu pads & braided lines and they are great on street and the occasional track day.

unless ur going to do a lot of track days i dont see the point in upgrading to larger diameter discs and bigger calipers (eg 6 pot). Overkill for street imo

K

kazama

what did u end up choosing?

i have the project mu SCR pure plus6 matched with b-spec mu pads & braided lines and they are great on street and the occasional track day.

unless ur going to do a lot of track days i dont see the point in upgrading to larger diameter discs and bigger calipers (eg 6 pot). Overkill for street imo

I'm currently running on the following for now.

Endless CCR pads at the front with stock rotors that have been slotted
RaceBrakes RB74s at the rear with R33 GTS 2 pot calipers with slotted rotors as well

the above setup is good but not good enough for me.

I know lots of track S15s in Japan that just upgrade to OEM 4pot/2pot Brembos. (from R33/34 GTRs)
With that being said, their cars have been lighten extensively thus not requiring better/bigger brakes.
Although, some of the track cars such as Sun Line Racing, Moon Face, Yashio Factory, Auto Service MORI, etc
uses 6 pots brakes at the front.

I don't think its an overkill for a Silvia to have 6pot front & 4 pot rears.
Its good to have bigger brakes as a safety margin sometimes.
Wait till the moment when you wished you had bigger brakes but the damage has been done.
It would be cheaper to get brakes now then to pay for damages later. (not being able to brake)
Trust me, I know this after I had a little mishap a few months ago. Nothing major but heartbreaking.

Best wishes guys,
Nick

H

hk^s15

I see where your coming from and thats understandable for a frequently tracked car. But in initial d's case, looks like his only going to hit the track on the odd occasion and he doesnt want to spend a bucket load.

You can only go so fast on the streets, you'll rarely ever hit speeds you do on the track in daily driving. And plus there wont be continuous punishment to the pads n rotors like u get on the track, eg multiple ~180 to ~60km braking situations where the expensive rotor/caliper setups shine through :cool:

fair enough if you've got the coin to spend, then go for it. otherwise play it smart and buy a setup based around your driving style and needs.

i'd like to hear what initial d's ended up with

K

kazama

I see where your coming from and thats understandable for a frequently tracked car. But in initial d's case, looks like his only going to hit the track on the odd occasion and he doesnt want to spend a bucket load.

You can only go so fast on the streets, you'll rarely ever hit speeds you do on the track in daily driving. And plus there wont be continuous punishment to the pads n rotors like u get on the track, eg multiple ~180 to ~60km braking situations where the expensive rotor/caliper setups shine through :cool:

fair enough if you've got the coin to spend, then go for it. otherwise play it smart and buy a setup based around your driving style and needs.

i'd like to hear what initial d's ended up with

ahh.. my bad, I didn't know you were talking about Initial D's post.
I thought you said that in general. My bad, hk^s15!

so Initial D, get back to us after you got and install your brake upgrage with pics please. ;)

Reaction score
ive got a set of endless 6 pots on the front and believe me they are worth every penny. Ive driven quite a few cars since fitting my brakes and every time it feels like something is missing. Im not a huge fan of the standard brakes on the s15 even with pads and braided lines, I do believe tho that with the z32 brake upgrade the braking does improve quite alot.