What's new

Exhaust Question

Reaction score
I'm thinking to buy aftermarket manifold,dump pipe and front pipe. Which tail exhaust i currently had install this HKS Hi-power. Do i need another exhaust to be install at the middle there, which they call cat back exhaust? But, some of my friend told me it doesn't need to be install that thing. I'm kinda confuse. Which is the best way to gain more power?

Reaction score
Hello bro and welcome to the wonderful world of exhaust pipes :wave:

An exhaust pipe generally consists of a few parts. These include an extractor, the down pipe, the cat converter/midbox/bullet/ , and finally the muffler. The extractor, as the name suggests, draws exhaust gases into the turbo and is then expelled into the downpipe. This is the pipe you commonly see coming from the hot side of ur turbocharger that hangs low. This pipe is connected to the catalytic converter to save the environment and thereafter passed on thru the muffler unit into the atmosphere.

The term "cat back" exhaust system actually means an exhaust system that has a larger internal diameter coming OUT from the catalytic converter and then into a better muffler before exiting out into the atmosphere. In other words, it is a modified "back" part of the cat converter. Important to note here is that your front pipe leading to the "front" of your cat-coverter and the exhaust manifold is still standard therefore your power gain is very minimal.

To acheive maximum power from an exhaust upgrade you must modify not just the back part of your exhaust (cat-back), but your extractor and downpipe as well for turbo. URAS/Nomuken/Monkey Magic make some of the best manifolds for the SR20DET as well as Full Race. As for the downpipe, upgrade to something with a diameter of 75mm or above. Im using one by Uras called Zousan. It has a 76.3mm bore, Nismo is 75mm. Blitz also manufacture downpipes for the SR20DET.

Now comes the last part. To complete your exhaust build, u will have to decide whether or not you want to maintain your Cat Converter. In Malaysia i guess its ok because noise and emissions control arent very strict unlike in the UK where u have to do a MOT test. Bear in mind however removing the Cat, at most will give u maybe 5-10PS power increase, but a hell load of noise. So id strongly recommend using a sports catalyser like mine by Nismo Weldina. Sard also manufactures this with a TCV(torque control valve). They are not too noisy but give good power gains. All these with ur HKS Hi Power can give you up to 15PS power minimum on the dynamometer. Cheers. :)

Reaction score
no worries mate... eh are you from sabah? Is ur s15 red? i saw a very new one the other day along Jalan Tun Fuad Stephens...i was in Sabah last week.

Reaction score
Yap ^^

Ya, I'm from Sabah :) Amused_15 where are you from? My Silvia is red color. Maybe you saw the one is me or the other one. If not mistaken there are only 2 red Silvia here.

S

SS9919K

Hi Amused... thanks for the useful info...

Jerry, any idea how many unit of S15 over there in KK (kota kinabalu)?

Reaction score
Myself from KL bro...Im dying to take the trunk road from KK to Sandakan, quite smooth with lots of bends to test test

Reaction score
Great!

Oh.. i see you are from KL, Do you come KK often? I wonder we have any chance to meet up or not hehehe.. You mean the road to mount Kinabalu? There is alot bends to test hahaha.. that is my favorite place.

Reaction score
Nola not so often, but im keen on buying a beachfront villa at the karambunai peninsula...next to the nexus resort. Thinkung of investing there, so secluded and peaceful. Sure if i dropping by KK will PM you man, we can touge up mount kinabalu road :D (and try not to hit anything along the way)

Reaction score
Sure

Oh.. i see, ya that place is really nice. I can bring you there if you want hehehe... don't worry brother won't hit anything for sure :p I only speed when i'm alone :) I don't get use to it speeding when some one sit beside me hehehe..