What's new

Dif Help Please

P

Paul D

Since i've had my s15 it seemed tail happy but i thought it was the japaneese tyres. I've fitted different tyres and now the back end comes out all the time. I took a lad out from work to show him and it was stepping out at 5-10mph. He thinks its got a lsd fitted. To be honest the only way i can keep the car straight is to drive as if i was driving it on snow its that bad!!!
I've tried driving on full lock at slow speeds to check to see if the tyres skip but they don't. I've also jacked it up and turned one of the wheels, this turns the propshaft. If i hold the prop and turn a wheel, the other wheel turns in the opposite direction.

Has anyone got any idea of what might be fitted or any other way i can check?

Also has anyone got a helical diff that i could try on mine and possible buy off them or swap if it solves the problem?

P

Paul D

Has anyone got any pics of the helical and LSD so i can take the back cover off and compare with mine??

Reaction score
one way to tell is to lock the steering and turn at low speed if you hear a clicking sound then you have a diff ;). I find camber on the rear helps alot aswell, mine loves stepping out but the more camber i add the better it gets

P

Paul D

Mine doesn't click when turning on full lock so it must be the tyres. its wearing the tyres on the inside but i've got some camber arms to fit when the weathers a bit better.

P

Paul D

The top of the rear wheels are pointing in, fronts are fine. I cant remember if thats positive or negative camber so i'l get that sorted first

Reaction score
Country
If top of rear wheel is pointing in, that's negative camber. Maybe it's abit too much. Negative camber reduces your tyre contact patch so you might wanna reduce your negative camber. I have negative camber on my s15 as well when I lower it but the tail doesnt kick out that often. Not on dry but if I try to, it will :) But during wet, it's a whole diff ball game, it kicks out as soon as I floor it on 2nd.

P

Paul D

Mine kicks out on slow pullaways and its stepped out a few times in fourth on a dual carrage way which is scary!!! and thats not flooring it either

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Something is seriously wrong for it to step out like that. I'm agreeing that the alignment is the prime suspect. Even with no diff, it wouldn't step out like that.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Mine wasnt great when i 1st picked it up, i changed the tires and got the alignment sorted, its 100x better now.