What's new

Annoying Rattly Noise

T

Twincam16

Has anyone ever had that rattly noise,it sounds like its coming from the cylinder head and as soon as you depress the clutch,select gear and move a couple of inches its gone.
Its confusing me because I was putting it down to trapped air in the Hydraulic Tappets,but Im a total Noob to these engines so maybe one of you lads can help me out :confused:
It gets oil every 3000mls,Castrol RS 10W60.
Thanks
Sean

S

S15R

sounds like VTC rattle, how many kms on the engine?
you should use engine flush everytime you change oil

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
No. Its something that will either happen from day one or never. Some people have said certain oils will cure it. Personally not convinced...

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
i get that 2 after the first startup i a while.
Supposed to be nothing to worry about.
damn annoying though :)

M

Meddy

Id use a lighter oil if I were you 10w60 is over the top for our engines. Not trying to say this has anything to do with the problem though, just an observation. 50's good enough even if your doing track work, 40 for just fast road use.

S

S15R

Twincam16 said:
as soon as you depress the clutch,select gear and move a couple of inches its gone.

yes, if you dont depress the clutch and select gear, the noise is still there, i find it funny tho. maybe its nothing to do with the VCT, VTC, VVT whatever it is

R

RyanNK

I dont think I have this issue in my S15 but...hen I saw the topic Rattly Noise...first thing that came to mind was the roof, next was the steering wheel. Both of these parts in my car rattle like no tomorrow. I have paper stuck in my steering wheel to stop it rattling and I dont know what to do about the roof...so fustrating when you have to cruise with no music and windows up and its pretty loud.

S

S15R

for the steering, take your airbag out and you see there are 3 points which metal to metal place something inbetween that will help :D

roof, mine is ok maybe becuase of the sunroof surround is holding it

K

kenji

If its the rattly noise you hear when you start up your engine, it's probably the noisy timing belt, typical problem on S15 SR20DET's

P

Purpleline

its bcoz of the "Neutral gear" signal NOT present to the ECU. the VTC soleniod is confuesd so keep on/off under no load reving over 1050rmp

Try shift to "R" & put back to "neutral" ..noise gone. There is nothing to worry...just little bug of the gear box sensor....clean the netual gear signal sensor may help but u will never want to do that.... :D

T

Twincam16

This kinda makes sense cos as soon as you select a gear(Any gear) it disappears :nod:
Thanks for all the help lads :thumbs: