What's new

Brake Fuse Problems

G

Ger Keane

jus had the aero spoiler fitted 2day, incl the brake lamp on the spoiler. the garage that did it says the brake fuse went but it was workin when i drove it home, now im back and the new fuse has blown aswell. any idea why? cud the fact ive 4 brake lights be the problem? (1 rear window, 1 spoiler, 2 car) im plannin on taking out bulb of the one on the window anyway.

Reaction score
If wired correctly you shouldnt have any problem at all. What did the garage wire the new brake light into? Id check the join, as i presume they were lazy and wired it into the boot brake lights? Check to make sure that its not earthing off the body and the join is insulated. Without checking in person id imagine its a minor earth.

G

Ger Keane

ya they wired it straight into the brake light on the rear window. wudnt have a notion of what to do with wires myself! if i took out the bulb from the window and replaced the fuse wud that help??
(really showing up my lack of knowledge here!)

Reaction score
depending on how theyve wired it, if you pull the bulb from the back window the other lights may not work. inspect the wires if you can just to make sure none are exposed or touching. Also replacing a fuse doesnt solve the issue that caused it to blow in the first place. I think the fuse is 10amp, you could try a 15amp and see how you get on but id check the wiring first.

O

oilrag22

Never step up on fuses, if you are blowing fuses, something is wrong.
10 Amps means you can effectively have 120Watt of bulbs burning on that one fuse. Even if you got four 21 Watt bulbs burning, you only have 84W, and the fuse should hold, since this would draw a current of about 7 Amps.

Check their connections, i reckon they didn't insulate something properly. Or made faulthy connections...