What's new

while I'm off the road

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
ok so as the car will be off the road for a week or so thill the new cltch arrives & gets fitted I have decided I'm gona split the lenses & clean them up. Is there any information on the best way to do this?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
by split the lenses, you mean take apart the headlights? If yes, then make sure when you re-seal it there are no gaps.

Taking it apart is a baking it in the oven job, i'm sure there must be something on the interweb to help you with that. Not something i would fancy doing :no:

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
yea that is wat i'm talkin bout. any1 done this or is there a thread/how to guide on this. I've been told its a common issue with the S15 headlights. They are dirty on the inside with condensation & stuff

sniffy

Reaction score
Country
japmadlad take a few pic when you doing it i would be interested to see how it done mind need to be done in a very bad way.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
i thought a few people had done it already but can't find anything about it. I bought meguars plastx for cleaning them but didn't really make a difference. It appears to be on the inside but I found a thread on sxoc bout this suggestin it is actually on the outside and that T-cut will sort it. I'll try this 1st then if no joy I'll be forced to split the lights and reseal them

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I had the lights split open on my S15 for light conversion. Didn't do it myself though but on my Skyline i did the work myself.

Couldn't fit them in the oven so I baked them in a drying locker for clothes. can't remember the exact heat, but I think it was around 60 degrees for 20-25min. could have been warmer but it was below 100 degrees C. Then I pulled the parts apart without any use of tools. remember that the plastic gets pretty soft when hot so don't just use screwdrivers or something like that to pry it open.

People have used heat guns to, but I think an oven or drying locker is better to get the heat more evenly distributed.

Just think about not overheating the light so they melt and you'll be fine :)

Although I would try to use T-cut or a good laquer claener before attempting to open them up.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
thanks for the info guys. homeboy that link seem very good. I think I'll try a bit of elbow grease with the G3 rubbing compound og T cut 1st. If I get no joy then it will have to be splittin the casing I guess.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
yea thats the same link as earlier mate. looks to work pretty gud. I think it will bea last resort if the compound doesn't work

Reaction score
Metal polish is the choice on here I think but mine came up brilliantly with just normal autoglym :)

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
used the G3 compound. It did make a difference. came up pretty well. not 100% but its better & less hassle than splitting the seals