What's new

Noisy Starter

P

Pazz

My first post :cool:

I'm currently searching the jap auctions for an S15, I have an importer doing all the leg work and have spotted a car I'm interested in.

But, acording to his translation of the auction sheet, which is pretty brief in what it mentions (as they all are) but it says that the auction mechanics have said that the car is a "Noisy Starter" :confused:

Anyone got any ideas of what it may be? The block only has 61kms which is around 39k Miles. Good auction grade of 4 as well so the mileage is accurate.

I am getting a closer inspection on the day of the auction but would be good to find info out before if poss.

Many thanks

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Welcome :wave:

Unless its 100% VVT rattle (a quick forum search will give you more info :) ), walk away. If you're buying from a Jap auction with no way of viewing the car, you want one with the highest auction grade you can afford and with no mechanical issues.

P

Pazz

4 is the highest grade you can just about get, you can find 4.5 S15's but they are normally 2001 onwards so cannot be imported into the UK.

Supposedly auction sheets can sometimes be translated badly. For example the Noisy starter could actually mean that it has trouble starting due to low battery etc. Either way I'll ask him to put it in gear and set off to see if its possibly just VVT rattle on the day of auction.

I wouldnt think it could be anything major after only doing 39k miles, I thought SR20DET's were pretty good for 100k plus.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yep, could be. It can pay to get a good translation of the auction sheet. If your guy knows his stuff, and doesn't mind walking away if necessary, I'm sure he'll spot anything major.

You're right, the SR20DET shouldn't be seeing any problems with that mileage, but its not impossible. :)

P

Pazz

Just an update:

Car went through last night and sold for ?6900, of which I only place a bid of ?6500. Was my first ever bid on a jap auction so wasnt going to get carried away.

The Noisy start was found to be the starter motor needing changing, struggling to turn etc. Also found that the car had a slight dint in the rear passenger quarter-panel, and with the lack of coilovers I limited my bid to ?6500.

?6900 is pretty high for a S15 in japland. THE SEARCH CONTINUES...

Edit: ?7000 equates to around ?11,500 after sva/tax/import fee/auction fee etc etc

Last edited:
S

sillbeers15

My God,...an S15 only cost 6900pounds when it hits UK shores used!

Man,...it cost me 40kpounds when I took it new from the showroom in Singapore 5 years ago.

I hear that these used cars hit Malaysian shores at 20kpounds each today.

You guys are really lucky!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Well, not quite. ?6900 is the auction sale price. There's the auction fee, buyer's fee, and shipping on top of that before it hits the UK. And that should be exactly the same wherever its shipped to (obviously shipping would be less to Malaysia or Singapore).

Once in the UK, there's duty, VAT, ESVA preparation and testing, MoT, registration and road tax. As stated, that's about ?11-12k on the road.