What's new

1st service - advice please

subzero

Reaction score
i know this has probably been asked a million times.... but ive just got an s15 spec r and im about to service it .

any list of materials needed....

what engine oil and spark plugs ye'd recommend.

much appreaciated.

subzero

Reaction score
see im not the only one ...some 1 with the know how come to the rescue :)

brands of oil and plugs etc appreciated.

genuine nissan oil filter im sure.

Reaction score
Hey, im sure some of the guys will add to this, but firstly, have you looked in the usefull threads section?? there is service info in there somewhere, so have a read, im sure most parts will be covered in there.
for oil, check out Opie oil, there will be a thread on EVERY car forum with his name, you can find out the right oil to use from him.
as far as spark plugs go, if your going for uprated ones go for Denso plugs, HKS may sound more tempting but they are just Denso plugs with the HKS name stuck on it, plus Denso ones are alot cheaper!
Hope thats of some use!
:thumbs:

Reaction score
my service setup:

s14 oil filter
mobil or redline 15w/50 oil
denso plugs
fuel filter (about 7 euro)

as for the plugs its true whats said above, ngk make the blitz plugs to so dont get conned and fork out a fortune. Id check all the brake pads aswell, flush the coolant, brake fluid and power steering fluid. Also i changed the fuel filter for the first service, precaution really cause im not sure when it was done. Diff oil and gearbox oil aswell, i dont think mine was ever changed because the diff came alive with the new oil. just my 2c

subzero

Reaction score
thanks guys....

so fuel filter adn oil filter from main dealer.

where would i pick up the right plugs.... is it worth going for iridiums ?

Reaction score
If its one thing i have learnt from my time on this forum its dont buy anything from Nissan in the UK.
even something as small and cheap as a oil filter, you will find a aftermarket one for the same price or maybe a bit less!!!
I know Blitz do a filter for ?15.00, which is usually the same kind of price you would expect to pay at a main dealer for a standard one, so i know what i would go for!!!
Its always best to shop around

Oh, Driftworks sell the plugs!!!!

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I think 15W50 is to thick if you're gonna use the car all year around.
It would take quite a while to warm up.

I would go with a fully synthetic 5W40 or 10W40
But as been said already, check with oilman :)
It also depends how tuned your car is.

This also affects the plugs you should choose.
I have Denso IK24s in my car, but I only use it in the summer. To dangerous on the ice :)

I would go with either iridium or platinum sparkies. But you could use regular copper ones. But you would have to change them more often though.

But changing all the fluids is a good idea. Just so you know it's been done. This is what I would change and the brands and stuff I used.
This is just what I use I haven't had much problems with my S15.

coolant (nothing fancy, regular cheapo)
engine oil (Motul 300V 5W40, running an oil-cooler though with thermostat)
gearbox oil (Motul Gear300)
diff oil (Motul 90PA)
brake oil (Motul RBF600)
spark plugs (Denso iridium IK24)
fuel filter (Nissan)
oil filter (Used Nissan first. Had to change because of the oil filter relocation kit I use. I now use a filter for a Rover)
air filter (Apexi :) )
and look over various other parts like brake pads and stuff.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
I use my car every day & have just put castrol edge fully synthetic 10/60W oil in it. It is gr8. engine runs better & doesn't take any time to heat up in the mornins. As for the filters, stay away from nissan. They ask stupid money for everything. go to ur local motor factors and they will have them. they will be listed for a S14A but sure its the same thing

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've found Nissan filters to be one of the most reasonably priced things they sell. Around ?7-8, and they're decent quality. At ?1 a shot, the sump plug washers are a pisstake though... :p