What's new

Big brake mods & ABS

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
This is more of a theoretical question. I read an article on big brake mods and ABS and how that changing to larger brake calipers with larger pistons changes the amount of fluid to each brake cylinder and therefore affects the performance of the ABS system, as the ABS computer is programmed to a set of parameters from the car design.

I was wondering what people have found when doing a brake conversion to their car. Did it change the ABS system function? Did the ABS seem to cut in earlier or later? Did you just pull the ABS fuse and do away with the system altogether? Also is it possible to buy an aftermarket ABS computer (if there is such a thing) that allows you to change the braking system and still get optimum ABS system functionallity?

I have a link to the article somewhere if people are interested in reading it.

K

kieran

sounds interesting, id like to see the link.

In theory id guess that with bigger brakes there is less braking power required to give th save stopping power as your standard brakes therefore making the abs cut in earlier as the sensor detects the wheel locking earlier? but not neccesarily giving better breaking though as you mentioned the ecu parameter are governed by standard parameters.

I must admit i never had a problem with abs on my 555 kit, even on the track i left the abs all woking without any issues, so that blows my theory lol

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
It gets pretty indepth although quite interesting.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_abs_bigbrakekits.shtml

@ kieran, what does your 555 kit involve? I don't think just changing the disks will make much of a difference. I think it is more about the volume of the new brake caliper cylinders that will make the difference.

K

kieran

they were bigger disk 310mm and a braket spacing the old caliper out to accomodate the disk, worked very very well enough for me to think bigger calipers and disks were a waist of money, however witht he price of big brake kits dropping like they are it makes them more viable.

i brought mine from apex, with good pads (DS2500), i couldnt ,melt them at brands or bruntingthorpe

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I have heard that the DS2500 pads are good. I think they will be the next pads I buy for mine.

310mm discs would definately make a difference in regards to brake temps and stopping power due to the increased leverage from the caliper being spaced further from the wheel center.

Did the caliper space come in a kit or did you get it made?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I may have to investigate one of these kits

Reaction score
i've just took a 330mm kit off mine cause i've got brembo's.... but... with the brembo's i'm now running DS2500's..... my god, people weren't jokin' when they said they were dusty... but... they certainly do stop!

Reaction score
Country
Which Brombos do you have then ? do they not work on the 330mm kits ?

With the 330mm brake kits or bigger is it also advisable to upgrade calipers to R33 GTR or Z32 ?

Too many choices :)