What's new

Damn rattle!!

Reaction score
Remember I posted this sound clip of the rattle coming from my car?

http://www.delsoluk.com/s15/recording2.wav

Well it wasn't under the car as I initially thought but it seems to be coming from the engine bay. I checked the manifold heat shield, even removed it and im still getting the noise. Only happens at high revs, i.e 4k-6k. Not sure what else to do, and im almost resigned to the fact that I may need to get it checked at Abbey Motorsport (close to me) unless someone can help me out.

Thanks fellas.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Sounds a bit like an RX7, do you have an SR20 fitted? :D

Sorry mate, i dont think i've heard anything like that before, it definatly sounds like something is only just loose and rattling very quickly when the rev's rise.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I definitely sounds like something making contact with something else at higher revs. Check clearance around the fan cowling and for anything dangling around the fan. The movement of the engine at higher revs could be enough to move the fan into contact with something.

Have you revved up via the throttle body? This would allow you to hear the engine from in front of the engine bay and isolate the sound a bit better.

Abbey will probably tell you you need a rebuild... Either that or they won't be interested cos its not a Skyline...

Reaction score
Its definitely that but I dont know where it is...and theres hardly any room to maneveur down there. Couple that with the fact that ive never worked on an SR20DET before and have very limited knowledge on it. Aaargh its drivin me nuts!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There should be enough room to feel clearance round the fan. You may need to drop the undertray and jack the front a bit to check the lower part of the fan and cowling.

Revving at the throttle body would be the fastest way to isolate which part of the engine bay its coming from :nod:

Reaction score
Ive tried that Nicely but I still cant pinpoint it. Im certain its not the fan as it moves freely throughout the rev range.

Are Abbey that bad? I cant seem to find anything bad written about em but I dont want to be taken for a ride either. Power Engineering are very close to me but they mainly deal with mitsu's and scoobs however they said they could take a look.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
When a number of people on SXOC (including senior moderators) have bad experiences, I tend to pay attention...

If you put it in somewhere, they'll just get someone to rev and someone to walk round the engine to isolate.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Get a torch out and stand over it revving it, maybe a fresh pair of eyes will help look for something.

Reaction score
Well i had it checked out and it looks like the bolts holding the turbo to the manifold have come loose and the gasket is vibrating at high revs. So ive ordered the gasket kit, new bolts, hks front pipe, decat and will hopefully fit it all next weekend. is there anything else I should do while im down there? someone mentioned changing the oil lines for braided ones? what does that do?

P

pablo

you need them big time as the standard ones are brittle at best and easily break etc.....get some lines or you could be stuck in the middle of the job if something goes wrong.

the braided ones will care for your turbo too

its kind of a must do job.

sure theres more reasons, some else will chip in im sure

this thread shows pictures of the braided and the original line

Last edited: