What's new

Turbo suggestions?

N

neosilvia

I have two new projects underway for this car. Tomei Genesis crate engine (this one is 4 months before delivery) and upgrading the turbo. I am just starting to look around now, but wanted to check if anyone had any suggestions for a good Turbo kit and which manifolds are good. I have a Megan manifold now that was on the car, but not too happy with it. Looking for 600hp on this one.

J

j@garagemac

how about a blitz 660r kit made for 600-660 bhp atf or hks to4z or a greddy t76 there are loads of turbos out there. But i fitted a genisis crate motor and they are the bollocks :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Not being particularly knowledgeable in this area, I asked someone on SXOC whose opinion I trust greatly :)

Hi mate. He has quite a few choices depending on whether he wants a complete bolt on kit or a custom set up.

In the custom range I think the Garrett GT3582R would probably be about the best choice. This is used on Gary's 600hp+ Evo for example. This will need a T3 manifold. 6-Boost manifolds (from Oz) seem to have a good reputation but there are others e.g. Full Race, Peak Boost etc.

In the Jap full turbo kits there's the Trust TD06SH-25G or the T78 kit. I personally think the T78 might be a bit laggy for a track (i.e. not drag) car on a 2.2 engine. The 25G should support around 600hp although I can't immediately think of any cars doing this (although Richie made around this with this turbo). Theres the expensive HKS T04Z kit. This will have less lag than the T78 and will support 600hp easily with room to spare.

N

neosilvia

Thanks for the input. At least now I have some direction, that is why I love forums like this. I was quite lost trying to get even a starting point on what would work for this application.
Looking at these suggestions, I made a call to SP Engineering and they are recommending a Garrett T04Z to keep the cost down. According to him, buying the Garrett turbo, instead of the HKS turbo of the same model gives more options for A/R. The Garrett T04Z turbine wheel is 74.2mm w/ 76 trim and has A/R choices of .70, .84, 1.00, 1.15, 1.32, and 1.59. The compressor wheel is 84mm exd./ 66.7 ind w/ 63 trim. The HKS T04Z has 63 trim and choices of 0.61, 0.81, and 1 for A/R. Am I correct in assuming that I would not want to go to high in the A/R for quicker spool up?
SP Engineering was recommending an HKS manifold, but I after researching some of the names given above, I have a growing interest in the Full Race T3 Gen 2 Twinscroll ProStreet Turbo Manifold. That manifold looks to be one of the more interesting designs I have seen yet. Nothing wrong with broadening out that power band especially on the track. Know anyone running this?

N

neosilvia

how about a blitz 660r kit made for 600-660 bhp atf or hks to4z or a greddy t76 there are loads of turbos out there. But i fitted a genisis crate motor and they are the bollocks :thumbs:
Thats what I keep hearing about Tomei. JIC has been running theres continuously for over a year and its still going strong. Sounds like a proven engine to me. Can't wait.

S

sillbeers15

600bhp for trackwork seems a bit overkill on a 1280kg RWD car.

First, you will have very limited choice for a sustainable gearbox.

Then you have to figureout how to effectively plant your 600horses to the track.

Your drivetrain will become your next weaklink, halfshafts, drive shafts and diff may not last long either!

500-550bhp looks more acheiveable and sustainable for an S series car!

N

neosilvia

I realize the car will need some more changes to accommodate what I am doing. I will have to find out, once the new engine and turbo kit are in place what kind of power I can tune for. You may be right, 500-550 may be more than adequate. Alot of cars I will be running against put down more than that with similar weight numbers. Of course, just because all the power is there doesn't mean its always being used. I was told when I bought this car it was at 400hp but driving it on the track, I think it is more around 350. Because the car is light, I can brake late and trail slightly into turns but those extra hp will make a difference in the straights. I have been going by trial and error building what works for me. As a part fails, it is upgraded to a more durable part. The stock steering rack failed on this cars 5th time on the track and is being replaced by a Woodward ps unit with cooler. That megan manifold the car was running failed the same outing which prompted the search for a better turbo and manifold setup.
I can see a better drive shave transmission and rear diff in the near future, but I will take that as it comes.

J

j@garagemac

well the tomei s15 i bult was only 450bhp and 450lb/ft as we ran a blitz 450r turbo but my customer has two boxes a nismo 6spd and a qauife 6spd seqential

he mainly uses it for drifting but has used it on track

if your car is mainly gonna be track id suggest routing the external watesgate pipe back into the downpipe as we always failed noise tests because the sreamer pipe was fooking loud lol

N

neosilvia

450 is a reasonable number for these cars. This car handles so well the way it is now set up through the turns, I am just looking for more power for passing. No fun to blast down the straights in an attempt to pass only to be out powered and stuck behind the same car again through the turns.
I know what you mean about having a wastegate dumping to atmosphere. My RX-7 is set up that way and whenever it goes on a dyno, it has everyone plugging there ears from the noise. I already planned on plumbing this one's wastegate back into the down pipe so I don't get popped for noise on the track.

S

sillbeers15

I'm not discouraging you to run big hp numbers.

It is because I know these cars and parts well and most aftermarket parts do not cater to support such power.

It is mostly a diminishing return when chasing such numbers as the work required to make it tick can easily break most budget unless sponsorship is backing these mods!

Even assuming all mods become a reality....the toll on the driver becomes the next bottle neck!....Hehee, enjoy the challenge man!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
A further comment from my contact:

Yes he would want to select a lower a/r ratio on the turbine housing to get half decent response - HKS use 0.61 on this application (even then, its still a big turbo and will not hit max boost till somewhere around the 5k rpm range IMO).

The twin scroll T3 manifold won't be much good with the T04Z, because as far as I know you can't get this turbo with the corresponding twin scroll T3 turbo housing. It uses a T4 housing. You can get the GT3582R with a 0.78 a/r T3 twin scroll housing from ATP though.

N

neosilvia

Research, research and more research, but I think I have come to a decision. Based on the input above, although 600hp is an obtainable number, it does not seem to be a good for a track car. Yes, with the setup's mentioned, I can go 600-even 700hp, but the problems arise with were that power comes into play. It seems that with these larger turbo's you get the power, but you get it high in rpm's and when it comes on, it comes on strong, ie, I will be spending alot of time looking down the wrong way on the track as the car breaks loose exiting corners. I have opted to look for a more manageable 500-525hp for this car with a much broader power band that kicks in at lower rpms and builds more gradually. The solution looks to be a GT3076R Twin Scroll Turbo with the Full Race T3 Gen 2 Twinscroll Manifold. It's in the works, so I will post pictures when it's complete and let you know the dyno results.
Thanks for the input.

P

Paul2x

FYI, make sure the full race mani fits the S15, b/c they build mani's for all the US car's with swaps.

Thats why no one here in the states run's any of the japanese kit's on swaps b/c the mani's won't fit the LHD car's.

SoundS like your gettin a bit ahead of yourself with the power.

That much will just slow u down, Your better off with 425whp and a Sequential =)

GL though, Your car is looks like it's coming to gether well :thumbs:

p.s what hp u at now w/ the RS? 380 or so?

K

kazama

should be fun with all that horsepower. What do you have in mind with coilovers and brakes ?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Somone has to much money :)

I'd love a Tomei Genesis engine and race the car every weekend, but with only one track in Scotland, its not so easy, oh and i dont have the funds :)

All sounds impressive, keep us posted and good luck.